New member from Atlanta 1947 V12

CatBird

Just got a 1947 Lincoln Continental. Bought several cars from the Samuel Truett Cathy Car Collection Estate. Found in love with a dark metallic green with white interior. Seems to be in good condition. 

We had it running at Truett's warehouse, but when we got it home on the trailer. Have been busy with the other cars and haven't had time to do more than charge the battery. I don't know much about Lincolns. 

Where can I get an Owner's Manual and a Shop Manual? Thanks.

1947 Lincoln-14 (Small).JPG

IMG_5147 (Medium) (Small).JPG

IMG_5145 (Medium) (Small).JPG

IMG_5146 (Medium) (Small).JPG

Edited by Bill Caddyshack (see edit history)

That is a pretty Continental, I am sure that you will be happy to own it.

Google the owner's manual, as there are original ones and reprints available.

As far as I know, there is no shop manual specifically for the Lincoln. Ford did print Service Books that covered the V-12 Engine, Transmissions, Electrical Systems, Fuel System and Rear Axles. Most of the information contained in these books was consolidated in  the Ford Service Manual in 1946. It is very vague in most areas with instructions like "remove the transmission and overdrive unit". This book is available in reprint form Number VB244 from most of the vendors that sell V-8 Ford parts.

Ford also published Service Bulletins, that were a little more detailed in some areas, so I would also get a reprint of them. These are also available from the Ford vendors and other literature dealers.

Edited by 19tom40
added source (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Do you have any history on this Lincoln.  It looks like one that was Henry Fords secretary's car,  The pleated seats were ordered by her at the factory.  I  looked at it in Dearborn when it was all original with a green leather interior{ if it is it.}  Glenn White bought it and restored it.  I lost track of it when Glenn moved from Ohio to Arizonia in the 70's

• Like 1

On 7/4/2016 at 0:48 PM, Waldren said:

Do you have any history on this Lincoln.  It looks like one that was Henry Fords secretary's car,  The pleated seats were ordered by her at the factory.  I  looked at it in Dearborn when it was all original with a green leather interior{ if it is it.}  Glenn White bought it and restored it.  I lost track of it when Glenn moved from Ohio to Arizonia in the 70's

I have heard this same story as connected to this car. I can find the original owner when Truett bought it and research from them. Any other info? Who is Glen White? How can I find him?

Henry Ford deceased in 1947 and possibly the car was owned by Ernest G. Liebold, Ford's aide and closest friend.

2 hours ago, 19tom40 said:

That is a pretty Continental, I am sure that you will be happy to own it.

Google the owner's manual, as there are original ones and reprints available.

As far as I know, there is no shop manual specifically for the Lincoln. Ford did print Service Books that covered the V-12 Engine, Transmissions, Electrical Systems, Fuel System and Rear Axles. Most of the information contained in these books was consolidated in  the Ford Service Manual in 1946. It is very vague in most areas with instructions like "remove the transmission and overdrive unit". This book is available in reprint form Number VB244 from most of the vendors that sell V-8 Ford parts.

Ford also published Service Bulletins, that were a little more detailed in some areas, so I would also get a reprint of them. These are also available from the Ford vendors and other literature dealers.

Thank you. I love the car!

Seeing a lot of books that seem would help, but a tad overwhelmed. I have a basic intuitive sense and can 'figure it out' to 'remove the transmission', etc. the question arises as to some basics, like plug gap? Voltage regulator settings? Timing (static setting, or with a timing light)? Is the timing mark on the harmonic dampner? Or on the flywheel? Which is the number one cylinder in a flathead V12? Mysterious to figure these out with no manual. :)

Are there certain quirks? For instance I had pre warning that disassembling a Jaguar transmission inside a wooden box because it would come apart in two directions as springs were released! Knowing this in advance I did not need to hunt around the shop to find the parts <grin> Not asking for Jaguar specifics.

It seems like the information is in several of the books in this link (for my Lincoln) and would appreciate your kind guidance.

I found your book suggestion as

http://www.macsautoparts.com/early_v8_ford_truck/service-manual-ford-lincoln-and-mercury-soft-bound-book-224-pages-passenger-and-pickup-440799.html

I will order it. But what else should I get?

http://www.macsautoparts.com/early_v8_ford_truck/books-manuals-and-dvd/service-and-shop-manuals.html

Since I have reached my majority in age, I am a firm believer in RTFM "Read The F'ing Manual!" And I do. <grin> Based with a basic understanding and armed with a difference in a box end and crescent wrench, and so forth. Please point me in the right direction so I can make this green beauty hum like she should!

Is this car is sneaky, or do these Continentals do this? Been unable to start it. Accidently pulled out the knob where the ignition key resides and with a just push of the starter button. It started! What other mysteries are in store? :rolleyes:

Sounds like you found the choke, which in many cars can be critical to starting. You'll figure out what this car likes and doesn't like as you spend more time with it. No two cars are alike, even two otherwise identical cars, so some experimentation like you're doing is the best way to learn the best way to start it, hot or cold.

That's a nice car and with overdrive, these make nice cruisers that'll run at modern speeds. They're not terribly fast off the line, but once they get a head of steam, they're a real pleasure to drive. Have fun!

Not the choke. There is a noticeable detent when you pull out the knob(?) where the key inserts. Click. Car will not start until you do. When you press it in, the engine stops.

The choke is in another place. There are a couple of toggle switches, and don't have a clue. I do not hear noise from an electric fuel pump. Perhaps one of these has to do with overdrive? Does it have overdrive?

I have it blocked in with some other cars and can't drive it until I get it clear.

I wsih I could find an owner's manual. Will just figure it out.

Oh, yeah, that's the ignition switch. Key for locking but pull it out to activate. Fairly common until the 50 when just turning the key became almost universal. Sorry, I didn't even think of that.

9 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Oh, yeah, that's the ignition switch. Key for locking but pull it out to activate. Fairly common until the 50 when just turning the key became almost universal. Sorry, I didn't even think of that.

That ignition switch was just figured out after about an hour of grinding the starter. Checking spark? Is the fuel out? 

How about the overdrive? Do the all have it? Is there a particular switch to get it to work?

I appreciate above direction about the manuals. Which ones should I get as VB244?