54 special back up lights

Pilgrim65

Hi 

notice my 53 Buick special has no back up lights , but see them as standard on the 54 , anyone with a 54 , do they sit on outside face of trunk or are they recessed . If only on outside I shall try to acquire some for my 53 . Also are they switched independently or are they somehow connected to reverse gear. Any information appreciated.

cheers

pilgrim65

Hi  

been looking at many 53 buicks specials on the Internet and by notice many have back up lights fitted on car body on each side rear just below trunk lid by the sides of rear light fins.  I wonder if they were an factory option as uncannily they all appear to be in identical position , if not a lot of 53 special owners have copied eac other! 

As mentioned above  they are presumably fitted on trunk lid as standard on the 54 , I'm not sure which position I prefer but will try both before securing when I manage to acquire a pair. Some of you may think there not necessary ,but in the rural area of Cyprus where I live the it is very dark at night, there is little street lighting and  car parks are not lit and reversing could be a problem without them. 

Cheers 

pilgrim65

Old tank and Eric W many thanks for information

kind of agree with thoughts about location on the 54 , interesting added issue about effectiveness , may not bother ,but will test with a 6v torch before purchase as I think expensive for what they are just a rim and glass. Appreciated  response.

There is one on ebay right now. 5940321 in the ad title. Says it's 51-52 Buick and 52-53 Packard. It's more than just a thin trim ring. It's a cast pot metal part to account for the curve of the body. There is another pair of lights that have just a thin trim ring listed as 50-53 Buick. I'll be back home in a week and can check my parts book for what goes on your 53, or maybe someone else can.

d2_willys is correct.  My 53 special didn't have back up lights.  My friend's did.  I always touched the brake pedal when I was backing up.  I felt that the brake lights gave more light than his back up lights.