1965 riviera

Guest Jimmyg.

Guest Jimmyg.

wheel clearance hi everyone my name is jimmyg. I just purchased my last riviera l will ever own as I've had 7 through the years .I am 56 yrs. Old and never lost my love of the 65 riv.this go around will be different .I wanna complete this one. I will build it my way.,and finish this project tire and wheels have changed quite a bit over the years.does anybody know how wide of a tire I can put on a 65 without rubbing and height will fit without hitting anything in the wheelwell? Any advice would be appreciated.thanks jimmyg.

Edited by Jimmyg.
Misspelled words (see edit history)

Greetings Jimmyg, Once things get going here you should get a lot of different opinions on this subject, but I'll throw my two cents in. I was having a hard time finding modern tires suitable for my '65 that were affordable. Of course if money is no object you can get a proper tire from one of the companies that specialize in antiques. I had the good fortune to meet an old school mechanic at my local Firestone. He recommended the Firestone FR380 (P225/75R15) which is a pickup tire. It is a bit larger than it needs to be so the Riv sits a little high, but the ride is excellent, especially at highway speeds. They will rub the wheel well slightly at full turn, but don't seem to effect turning radius. The white wall is 3/4" wide which looks great on the '65. I found that the car looked a little jacked up w my wire hubcaps, but when I mounted them on Rally wheels the Riv looked suitably muscular.  Good luck, Drew

23 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:
23 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

Greetings! There are plenty of old posts on this topic if you can figure out how to search. I went with Ed Raner's recommendation: Hankook 225/75/15 for about $100 each. I can't complain.

image.jpeg

Greetings! There are plenty of old posts on this topic if you can figure out how to search. I went with Ed Raner's recommendation: Hankook 225/75/15 for about $100 each. I can't complain.

image.jpeg

That tire looks to be about the right size for a 65. The previous owner of mine put on Firestone 215/70-15 whitewalls, and I think they are just a bit small. I like the size on yours better, only I'd like just a wee bit more whitewall on mine. Love your car, it looks like such a sleeper; more pics!