Brake pressure accumulator.

gr8scott

When it rains, it pours. My other car is in the shop, and now the red warning light came on in the Reatta, and it hardly had enough pressure to bring to a stop, and only if I drove very slow. Fortunately I was close to home and managed to nurse it to the house.

Once home I did the brake test and came up with these numbers:

Test 1 - 7

Test 2 - 17

Test 3 - 2

Test 4 -10

Test 5 - 1

Test 6 - 5/8 inch

Test 7 -  Yes, but slight.

Although  mechanically disadvantaged, the tests tell me that I need to replace the accumulator. I did that once about nine years ago, and it would still be a DIY job,  but finding one appears a lot harder than it was back then.

The AC Delco 25528382 is not available at any outlet... The JLN 11659 made for Jaguars is reputed to fit, but at that price I'd have to be certain before I'd spring for it. Ditto the FEBI 01817 made for some  BMW and Mini Cooper models, but even at half the price of the Jaguar part, I'm not assured of the fit.  Any comments on my brake test results, or pointers in any direction would be much appreciated.

Edited by gr8scott
misspelling (see edit history)

Guest Kingsley

I understand that Spinningwheels-SC is awaiting up to date shipping information.on their current order with the German supplier.

Edited by Kingsley
Update Info (see edit history)

7 hours ago, gr8scott said:

The AC Delco 25528382 is not available at any outlet... The JLN 11659 made for Jaguars is reputed to fit, but at that price I'd have to be certain before I'd spring for it. Ditto the FEBI 01817 made for some  BMW and Mini Cooper models, but even at half the price of the Jaguar part, I'm not assured of the fit.  Any comments on my brake test results, or pointers in any direction would be much appreciated.

The ATE Accumulator is no longer available under the Delco part number, but the Accumulator is still available under several different part numbers. The very same ATE Accumulator is available using the Jaguar part number and for that you pay a Jaguar price.

Don't know about the FEBI as I downloaded a part number list a couple of years ago that cross referenced this number to the Jag number. Heard back from a guy in Russia that got the FEBI and it didn't fit. As the ball itself had no part number markings, don't know if he got the right box with the wrong part, or the right part in the right box and the list was wrong.

If you had a TC and absolutely needed it today I'd say go with the WABCO, but it's a little taller and I'm not to sure it will fit under the hood of a Reatta. 

The WABCO STC 2784 is very close to the Hydac size that has been squeezed into space available and it will be a squeeze with the WABCO too. Or you can always call Power Brake Inc. 714-771-6549 and see if the have an ATE or any other in stock that will do the job and fit under the hood.

Not going to buy what you need off the shelf at the local hardware store and yes accumulators can be remotely located. Brakes are fluid power and any good hydraulic shop should be able to custom build a line and gas charge an off the shelf accumulator.

Guest Kingsley

When doing comparisons, bear in mind that the OE accumulator has a volume of 15 cubic inches (0.25 liter) and the aftermarket Hydac accumulator sold by Spinningwheels  has a volume of 20 cubic inches (0.325 liter)..  The latter, of course, involves a slightly higher volume of fluid in operation but the Reatta system has accommodated it nicely.and performs well with it.

The subject of these accumulators was discussed at great length commencing in, as I recall, in January of 2015. The term "great" may be an understatement.

Kingsley

www.reattaspecialtyparts.com

Edited by Kingsley
Type and add text (see edit history)

Just this last Sunday I replaced my accumulator after doing the brake test procedure referenced above with the stc 2784 and it does fit... in the accumulator pump. It is bigger around than stock but is about an inch or so taller so the strut brace won't fit. My plan is to weld a 1/4 inch plate over the top then cut out where it hits. The part was listed for 1995-2002 range rover and was $180 on ebay. Seems to work, and turned the light out. For two days :) Theres no code being shown so this weekend I'll be probing the ALDS and counting flashes, expecting wheel speed sensor(s)

Guest Kingsley
3 hours ago, Erikthered612 said:

Just this last Sunday I replaced my accumulator after doing the brake test procedure referenced above with the stc 2784 and it does fit... in the accumulator pump. It is bigger around than stock but is about an inch or so taller so the strut brace won't fit. My plan is to weld a 1/4 inch plate over the top then cut out where it hits. The part was listed for 1995-2002 range rover and was $180 on ebay. Seems to work, and turned the light out. For two days :) Theres no code being shown so this weekend I'll be probing the ALDS and counting flashes, expecting wheel speed sensor(s)

A favor please - would you check on the side of the WABCO accumulator and see what figure is imprinted for its volume in cubic inches or liters?  Also, if available, its pre-charge pressure.in PSI.

Appreciate your help on this.

Kingsley Baker

Reatta Specialty Parts                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Edited by Kingsley
Add Text (see edit history)

Guest Kingsley
23 minutes ago, waltmail said:

Wondering if anyone has analyzed what actually fails in the accumulator? Could it be possible that these parts could be refurbished? That would be a cottage industry right up there with CRT repairs.

There is a rubber-like bladder inside of the accumulator  that separates the nitrogen gas pre-charge at the top from the brake fluid in the bottom.  Over time this bladder will leak or rupture and render the accumulator inoperable.  Seem to recall that the gas is precharged to a pressure of around 1000 PSI or so but not sure.about this figure.  It is normally imprinted on the side of the accumulator.

In the early 2015 accumulator exchanges on the Forum an effort was made to repair a ruptured bladder but it was deemed not a acceptable process.and abandoned.

There are some larger industrial accumlators that are designed for re-charging but not the case in the automotive size.

Kingsley Baker

Reatta Specialty Parts

2 hours ago, waltmail said:

Wondering if anyone has analyzed what actually fails in the accumulator? Could it be possible that these parts could be refurbished? That would be a cottage industry right up there with CRT repairs.

Couple of years ago I had posted the FEBI as a possible replacement and that it may need an adaptor to fit. Did a lot of research last year after a guy in Russia got a FEBI and it didn't fit. The FEBI did need an adaptor fitting and he overcame this problem by having a machinist rethread the mount and rethreading meant re-drilling a small opening. It worked well for him for several weeks and then his brake fluid started getting murky as the nitrogen leaked and shortly after he removed and reinstalled his old accumulator the FEBI spewed brake fluid. 

Not having seen the manufacturing process I can only describe it as it was described to me and the way I understand it is, the pre charged accumulators are inflated like a football, a needle is needle is pushed through the bladder, air is replaced with nitrogen and the needle heats to seal the bunghole when it is removed. A bad seal allows gas to be squeezed out and means shorter life and premature failure. Seal failure also allows brake fluid to enter the gas side of the bladder which is what causes the bladder to rupture and the squirt of brake fluid at some time after an accumulator with a bad seal has been removed. This seal might be why the old BMW guys refer to this part as the "brake bomb",  The perfect seal doesn't exist and it doesn't matter how these things are initially filled, they will eventually leak some and loose their needed charge.

To answer your question, I do believe that some of these pre charged parts could be refilled, but I doubt that it will ever become a cottage industry like CRT repair as it would probably cost more to identify and do, than it does to make new.

1 hour ago, Erikthered612 said:

Here's how I modified the strut tower brace. Welded a 1/4" plate to the top, then cut out where it hit. Couldn't read the numbers on it as they were to the back.

20160626_193716_HDR.jpg

You got it in and it worked, but this is not a WABCO STC2784, it's an off the shelf pressurize to need accumulator. Good news is that you came up with a way to make it fit and these things are dirt cheep. Now that you've done it, you have proved another working alternative.

4 hours ago, Erikthered612 said:

Ha! Just rechecked the listing and it did indeed say "compatible with wabco stc 2784". That's 4 levels of compatibility from OEM and still worked :) Also found this on a BMW site, $100 cheaper http://m.eeuroparts.com/Parts/32383 found it while looking for specs on STC 2784

Couple of years ago I had posted the FEBI as a possible replacement and that it may need an adaptor to fit. Did a lot of research last year after a guy in Russia got a FEBI. The FEBI did need an adaptor fitting as it has a different thread size and failed shortly after being made to fit. .

While looking into specs to figure out why the Russian guys FEBI might have failed, I found a posting by a Mercedes owner that wasn't to complementary to FEBI quality. They have a $900 Mercedes accumulator that can be replaced with the FEBI direct fit for a couple hundred and after his two year old FEBI part failed, he found an aftermarket supplier of the same accumulator that Mercedes puts their name on for a couple hundred more and he suggests spending the extra money.