2.250" bumper bar needed from a 1930-31 Dodge

alsfarms

I am in need of a bumper bar or even a piece of one in order to make a repair to my existing bumper.  Does anyone have a full or partial bumper that can help me?  The bar I need is correct for a two bar bumper from a 1930-31-32 Dodge.

Al

Hello ArtificerTom, dc-8dave and keiser31.  Thanks very much for reading and responding to my inquiry and need for some bumper stock.  To answer your questions:  Yes, I need some of the actual bumper face bar that is 2.250" tall, it does have a crown on the front and is is chrome plated.  I need some straight donor material so it could come off a front bumper or a rear bumper.  As mentioned earlier, I need about 24" total.  I have spoke with my foundry and they will heat up to remove the temper so I can perform weld repair as needed, then the foundry will re-temper the assembly when I am finished with my repair.  If you have a broken or damaged bumper, I would certainly like a piece of it.  I also have a second thought, If you have an incomplete front bumper but have just the lower straight bar (with-out the dip in the middle), I would simply replace my damaged bar and would not mess with a repair.  Lastly,  I think the 1931, 32 bigger Dodge will have the same style bumper I need.

Thanks,  Alan

Depending on how authentic you want your '31 there are some subtle differences in the bumpers of the '31–'32 DBs.

The '31 6-cylinders have a curved top piece and a straight bottom piece along with a small diameter (about 3/4")connecting bolt tops at the ends. (The 8-cylinders have a double curved bumper with small end bolt tops.)

The EARLY '32 6-cylinder DLs have double curved bumpers with small end bolt tops, while the LATER production 6-cylinder DLs have larger (about 1.25") end bolt caps. The '32 8-cylinder DKs have curved top bars and straight bottom bars.

That eBay link appears to be of a bumper from a '32 DK.

4 hours ago, Phil 32DL6 said:

Depending on how authentic you want your '31 there are some subtle differences in the bumpers of the '31–'32 DBs.

The '31 6-cylinders have a curved top piece and a straight bottom piece along with a small diameter (about 3/4")connecting bolt tops at the ends. (The 8-cylinders have a double curved bumper with small end bolt tops.)

The EARLY '32 6-cylinder DLs have double curved bumpers with small end bolt tops, while the LATER production 6-cylinder DLs have larger (about 1.25") end bolt caps. The '32 8-cylinder DKs have curved top bars and straight bottom bars.

That eBay link appears to be of a bumper from a '32 DK.

Nope. That is a pair of 1931 DH6 bumpers that a buddy has. They look like mine....

Picture 10459.jpg

stuff 223.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Hello Keiser31,  Your 31 DH6 is surely a nice looking automobile!  Yes, the bumpers on EBAY look to be exactly as what you have on your car.  If you car had dual sidemounts, what would the rear bumper look like?  Is the height of each of your bumper bars 2.250"?  What is the center to center width of your from bumper, in a straight line?

Al

9 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Nope. That is a pair of 1931 DH6 bumpers that a buddy has. They look like mine....

Picture 10459.jpg

stuff 223.jpg

Those end connector caps on the eBay bumpers sure look larger diameter than yours, John...but maybe it's just a camera effect?

Sounds like you've got the insider's info on it.

Yeah, Phil. I am not so sure the end bolts on my blue car are correct. It was assembled by the previous owner. I believe my other '31 coupe has larger bolt heads.

4 hours ago, alsfarms said:

We are close but no cigar on the bar height.  The length is just right, however.    Do you think the '32 bumper bars would be taller.....2.250"?  Do you have any other ideas from which I can source 2.250" bumper bars?

Al

Sorry....don't know the width of the '32 bars. I thought they were the same as 1931.

'32 DL (6-cylinder) bumpers are 2" wide and both bars are curved. The lower bar is not straight like on the '31 6-cylinder models. (See my avitar pic.)

The EARLY production '32 DL bumpers have small end connector bolts & caps (??" diameter) like your '31, John. The later DLs (like mine) have larger, 2" diameter connector caps (like what appears to me to be on those eBay bumpers...but I could be wrong).

The '31 8-cylinder cars have the double curved style bumpers that carried over to the 6-cylinder '32 cars. I don't know the width of the bars.

'The '32 DK (8-cylinder) cars have a curved top bar and a straight bottom bar...like on your '31 6-cylinder. Which I would GUESS have the small end connectors that carried over to the early '32s? I don't know the width of the bars.

I don't know the full specs on the '32 DKs as far as measurements or connector size variations, if any.

Confusing, I know...but maybe that will help.

It looks like the current idea from this forum is that I need to locate a front bumper from a 1932 Dodge DK 8.  DO any of you '32 Dodge DK guys have an extra front bumper or even just a spare lower bar.  The height of the bar needs to be 2.250 to match what I already have and am trying to repair for chrome       plating.