Material for fuel line wrap?

In preparation for summer driving I decided to wrap up the fuel line from the pump to the carb to see if some of the vapor lock issues I had last year can be avoided (I do have an electric pump as well but would rather keep to the mech pump as much as possible). What material should I use? I found ThermoTec wraps on the Summit Racing site that looks pretty good although it's $10/foot. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Dave

I have use aluminum foil that had part of such foam rubber insulation with adhesive applied.

It's approx. 2" wide, and comes in a roll.  Most hardware stores carry at fair price.

It had worked well for me on fuel lines close to the engine/exhaust.

Dale in Indy 

I am a bit wary of the foam types unless they are fireproof. I had located some foam to use and I was just going to tywrap it in but then I realized if I got into an engine fire situation it would light up like a torch. So I have been looking for other solutions and saw the ThermoTec. Completely fireproof, good to at least 1500 degrees. Was just wondering what other good options are out there.

Dave,

I know this is not kosher, but I rerouted my fuel line as follows;

Straight up from the pump, to just under the fresh air hose, and back to under the coil on the firewall.

Then over the valve cover, with a stabilizing bracket on the rear valve cover nut, across to the carb and straight in from the rear.

My fuel line is 1/4" copper and I slid  5/16" I.D. rubber fuel line over it all the way from the carb to the pump .

I rarely have to use the electric pump. Mostly on very long pulls at 9000' in the summer season.

I know there will be a "points reduction" for this, but it solved my problem.

Best Regards,

Mike in Colorado

Dave:  I agree it will look awful, but this is a driver so at this point I am looking for reliability. Nothing I can't undo, however.

Mike:  I kinda like the idea of the rubber fuel line as the initial wrap. Not completely fireproof but lots better than the foam. Then I can cover with the Thermo-Tec.

Cheers, Dave