1972 Electra 225 Four Door Hardtop

Thriller

Hello everyone.  I recently looked at a 1972 Electra for sale locally.  I've decided that, while this would be a fabulous road car, we aren't going to purchase it.  I have a few photos on my phone, but they aren't on the computer.  At any rate, it's a nice car and I told the owner I'd do what I can to research the car and help him find a new steward for it.  The reality is that he spends winters in Arizona and much of the summer at the lake cottage, so it isn't being driven very much.

So anyway, here's what I've been able to find based on the body data plate:

ST72 48239 - 1972 Electra 225 Four door hardtop - there were 19,433 built.  The Electra 225 Custom had a more plush interior and standard folding armrest in the front bench - this was more popular
FL1 - from what I've found, this seems to be related to the suspension indicating what parts should be attached - I suspect this was standard to the Electra line based on its weight
103583 BD - body number
TR 484 - trim code - Covert (Sandalwood) Cloth with Bench Front Seat
P 11 11 - paint code for Arctic White upper and lower (I forget the order, but for this car, it doesn't matter since they are the same)
11D - I haven't confirmed
A52 - Seat, Front Bench

The body data plate was used for reference on the assembly line so that the workers used the right parts / colours / paint.

The VIN should be something like

4U39T2H******
4 = Buick
U = Electra 225
39 = 4 door hardtop
T = 455 cid engine (U was an optional engine for this car)
2 = 1972
H = assembly plant which could be H (Flint, MI), C (Southgate, CA), G (Framingham, Mass), X (Fairfax, KS), Y (Wilmington, Delaware), or Z (Fremont, CA)

Final 6 digits - sequential production number at the assembly plant

Please correct any errors or fill in / confirm - in particular, I'd like to verify the FL1 being suspension package and what appears to be 11D.  What I believe to be 11D I only found as an RPO code for a Saturn so far, which I know can't be correct.

If anyone wants more information on the car, please let me know.  It did originate in the USA and came north in the mid-80s.  It's had a repaint (I wouldn't have said it was white, but more like an off-white to tan/pale yellow).  Then again, my memory could be off and the last time I saw it was in an underground parking garage with artificial lights.

1972ElectraDataPlate.jpg

According to the Standard catalogue of Buick and the 72 Service manual, there were 5 versions of the 455 in 1972.  I can't remember the differences but you may be entirely correct Willis.

Willis is exactly correct for the Electra and LeSabre series.  The Centurion and Riviera also had optional the "modified high performance V8 with dual exhaust" option.  This option included the large valve heads from the A-body GS Stage 1 and a slightly hotter camshaft.  The valves themselves were not swirl polished as they were in the GS A bodies.  I have the optional engine in my '72 Centurion convertible.

• Like 1