1956 Dynaflow

ghaskett

…. just curious as to why you ask this question ? I would think an answer to that would require finding some isolated studies plotting the rpm/torque free ride requirements of the Dynaflow plotted and applied to it's overall efficiency for output.  Given you have somewhat of a fluid driven coupling and not a direct lay gear driven mechanism, that would be hard to ascertain. In the real world the Dynaflow always required a little extra torque from it's engine power source, thus the low end torque nailhead, but up and running and especially on the highway it was very efficient in it's floating state compared to a what a fixed gear setup would be.  Passing gear is not a gear but a change in the fluid torque converter vanes pitch which multiplies the fluid psi to an infinite amount as needed and the efficiency increases as well.

18 hours ago, First Born said:

ll, I can not answer your question, but the '56 my brother had in about 1958 would smoke/burn the tires. Easily.

Ben

That's what I'm talkin' bout! Can't wait! 

15 hours ago, ghaskett said:

I had read where, for example, a Chev Turbo 350 took about 35 hp to run and  the Turbo 400 required about 45-50 Hp to run. So, I was curious about the Dynaflow, since it never gets good press.

Never gets good press from who?

If you drive the car properly (like in the owners manual), I dont think your going to have any problems running your dynaflow, however, if you want to go doing burnouts and drag racing from every traffic light you come across (using low range and then slamming into drive, which is not the

recommended way to operate a dynaflow), then you will likely have some problems down the line

The numbers your asking for are probably not available because the way the transmission works is not conducive to use in drag racing, its more a luxury transmission for smooth seamless (no gear change) cruising, so no one probably tested it

Point is, if your concerned about HP use and transmission life, I would go open driveline and your choice of transmission (dont forget the powerglide, used to be a favorite for drag racing)

I don't have to be sold on the 56 Buick. I've owned four of them. Currently have tri-power on my '56 and am quite happy. All I wanted to know was...does anyone have an idea how much horsepower is eaten up by the dynaflow? That's it. Period!!!  If you know the answer..Great!!!  If not, save us both the wear and tear.

8 hours ago, buick5563 said:

You edited your question and you deleted a post and then you get snippy? 

Mike Mike Mike Mike! You know what day this is? Just kiddin'. It's snippy post day and thank goodness I hadn't used mine up awhile ago, cuz my wife let's me know right away when they get used up! It's just car stuff! I'm gettin' back on modified before the pot I stirred spills hot poo all over me.