Need help 1964 Buick Riviera turns over won't start

Guest YumaV77

Guest YumaV77

Hello this is my first ever post. I have a 1964 Buick Riviera project that I am trying to restore. I had her running for a while but she had to sit in my garage for a couple of months. The ethanol in the gas went and turned the gas orange. I blew out all of my fuel lines cleaned my carb and I'm using a new fuel cell and filter. After all of that the timing was off so I set the car to top dead center and aligned the timing. After all that it cranks and spark seems intermittent so I changed the coil and checked the battery it has a full charge. If anyone knows anything I would love to hear I'm moving soon so it has run thanks.

Well the easy way is to pour about a 1/2 oz of gasoline in the carb. While there make sure the choke is closing properly (should be a Carter AFB) and put the air cleaner back on. Crank. If it fires and dies it is a fuel problem. If it just cranks it is ignition.

From there is gets more complicated and with a 50 year old car it could be many things.

ps with no fuel in the lines or car I have had to crank a car with a mechanical pump for 30 seconds before. Priming the carb helps.

2 minutes ago, Zimm63 said:

You might get more responses if this was in the Riviera page.  

Can one of the Moderators move it?

Why????

This is a generic issue that can affect any car of it's era. There is nothing unique about a Riviera that would cause this problem

41 minutes ago, CarlLaFong said:

Why????

This is a generic issue that can affect any car of it's era. There is nothing unique about a Riviera that would cause this problem

And that's why all these technical issues should be in the technical section.

Top dead center comes around twice if you are looking at the timing mark. You have a 50/50 chance it was right. If you removed the valve cover and turned the engine IN THE DIRECTION OF ROTATION while watching the valve action you would have seen the intake valve colse and both valves seat with a little play in the rocker arms. I usually go through two whole cycles while describing the valve action out loud just to be sure.

On a long term storage car I like to use my MyTeeVac tool with the brake bleeder bottle attached to the fuel line to pull gas from the tank. I suck three or four bottles through the line and check that it draws, gets clear, and smells good. That brings fresh fuel up to the carb so the starter does have to crank long and wets the fuel pump diaphragm to keep it from flexing dry.

Bernie

• Like 1

Guest YumaV77

Hello I got it running today but now it shoots flames from the carb and backfires. If anyone knows why please comment any advice will be appreciated thank you