37 special battery issue

Guest jg_105

Guest jg_105

Looking for some advise or recommendations on the battery for 37 special

mine is still the original 6v,.  It it's mounted under the front passenger seat.   But the original brackets/box or whatever are no longer there.  Previous owner had just some straps made.   I grabbed  a u1 battery but ther terminals are way to close to the floor pan cover.  I don't really want to adjust the brackets any lower as it would then hang below the frame

unless anyone has any suggestions.... My thoughts are

1--get the optima 6v agm battery and mount it sideways under the car

2--rewire (lengthen)  and move the battery into the trunk into a battery box 

3 --  rewire  (shorten)  and move the battery to under the hood making some kind of bracket as well

Lengthen the straps or build a new box. 

Yes, it may hang a bit below the frame, but that is perfectly OK, and does not cause a problem.

Under the passenger side of the front seat, there is a wooden board above the battery, and even if that touched the battery, which is doesn't, it would  (wood) not be a conductor.

Mine is a Roadmaster 80C, but I believe they are all the same

My Special like many still has the 6 volt battery under the front seat and it has never been an issue. The original battery cover is domed and allows a little more clearance.

Marty the Specials are all metal so they don't have a wood floor or wood cover.

Carl

P1300016.JPG

I have the same set up in my 1937-41.(2 hanging straps). 1937-44 gave me a folded sheet metal box to replace these home made straps. The original would have an actual box. These boxes rusted out quickly. I would keep the battery where it is as the positive cable is long enough as it is..

Carl,

Thanks, I was not aware of the difference in the Special as compared to the Roadmaster - try to learn something every day....

• Like 1

Guest jg_105
22 hours ago, 1937-44 said:

My Special like many still has the 6 volt battery under the front seat and it has never been an issue. The original battery cover is domed and allows a little more clearance.

Marty the Specials are all metal so they don't have a wood floor or wood cover.

Carl

P1300016.JPG

My floor cover does not look like this -  its more form fitted with a hump in the middle over the driveshaft,  but then lays flat over the rest of passenger side----  Maybe I should have mentioned its a Mclaughlin Buick- Maybe a difference there?

Guest jg_105
On 4/26/2016 at 8:40 AM, 1937-44 said:

I'm not familiar with all  the differences  between McLaughlin Buicks and Flint Buicks. Hopefully someone else can clarify what would be correct for your car. Sorry.

No Problem.