Exhaust Manifold

Guest jg_105

Guest jg_105

Hey Guys

I have a 37 special,  the manifold is cracked-  well split into 2....

I have found a guy who can weld it

but have also found a 33 50 manifold

The gasket is the same for the 33 50 and the 37 40.... any thoughts?

Thanks

I believe Bob's Automobilia still sells new exhaust manifolds for small series Buicks that would be correct for your Special. They're a bit expensive, but you may as well buy new parts instead of buying old parts that may already be cracked or will crack again shortly. I know this because I just spent $1500 on used exhaust manifolds for my '41 Buick only to have them crack in less than 45 minutes.

Do it on a budget and you'll do it twice.

I am aware the large series exhaust manifolds are prone to breaking due to having to move but a one piece manifold like on the smaller series I would think should be rather durable.  Used exhaust manifolds have never been a problem with my 37 Special as my 79 year old manifold has been on and off a few times and I've never had a problem. Are these manifolds that fragile and I've just been lucky?

Carl

Guest jg_105
8 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

I have been told they are not the same...  Look up Randy Dekker in the BCA directory for confirmation...

Did some picture looking -   the 33 50 has high and low bolt placement,  the 37 its straight accross the manifolds..... too bad

Guest jg_105
3 hours ago, 1937-44 said:

I am aware the large series exhaust manifolds are prone to breaking due to having to move but a one piece manifold like on the smaller series I would think should be rather durable.  Used exhaust manifolds have never been a problem with my 37 Special as my 79 year old manifold has been on and off a few times and I've never had a problem. Are these manifolds that fragile and I've just been lucky?

Carl

The one on my barn find had been cracked and an attempted repaired had been maid before and then muffler cemented .....  sent it to a welder  hopefully its fixable -

Never meant to imply they can't break. I have parted out 3 or 4 37,38 Specials and yet to find a broken exhaust manifold not to mention the one on my car so just wondering if they are that fragile. Hopefully your welder can repair yours.

Carl

Edited by 1937-44
addition (see edit history)

2 hours ago, jg_105 said:

Did some picture looking -   the 33 50 has high and low bolt placement,  the 37 its straight accross the manifolds..... too bad

Private Message me if your welder doesn't work out and you don't want to spend 600.00 with Bob's for a new one. Of the thousands of smaller straight eight Buicks out there I would hesitate to give a blanket inditement to all small series straight eight used intake, exhaust manifolds. Duals large and small, maybe so, but every used small straight eight single carb intake, exhaust manifold is not breaking, inspite of the fact those are the ones posted about.Quite a few must have lasted, but if your budget allows it, I haven't seen any failures posted about Bob's manifolds.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Cracked manifolds are usually caused by the inability of the long manifold to expand and contract while heat cycling.  Original Belleville type spring washers must be used to allow the manifold to move while maintaining the gasket seal.  And, the manifold fasteners must be re-torqued after heat cycling. If gasket sealants are used, they must have some lubricity to allow movement too.

Just my $0.02

Agree with both Greg and Mark. In fact, I got a used intake.exhaust manifold pair from Greg and it worked out great. I followed the procedure that I got from Mark, using new Belleville washers and copper anti-seize and so far so good. When I decided to pull the head again this Spring I got a hoist so I could leave the manifold attached and not have to deal with all that again.

Cheers, Dave

20160325_151519 (Large).jpg

• Like 1

Guest jg_105
18 hours ago, Daves1940Buick56S said:

Agree with both Greg and Mark. In fact, I got a used intake.exhaust manifold pair from Greg and it worked out great. I followed the procedure that I got from Mark, using new Belleville washers and copper anti-seize and so far so good. When I decided to pull the head again this Spring I got a hoist so I could leave the manifold attached and not have to deal with all that again.

Cheers, Dave

20160325_151519 (Large).jpg

Thanks for the Info and pics -  I do notice that your battery is is under the hood.... mine is under the passanger seat -  Did you move  it to that location?