Question about '70 Buick Rivieras

reatta vice

I recently acquired a 1970 Buick Riviera. The car appears to be all stock. I have looked at photos on the Internet of other '70 model Rivieras. Most show a sphere type body side molding running down the side of the car. A few of the photos I have seen of 1970 model year do not show this molding. 

My car does not have one. My questions are:

1) Was the sphere style molding a factory trim option or standard equipment for this year car & the previous owner had it removed? I personally think it looks better without it.

2) My car has bucket seats & center console & also has the shorter fender skirts. Is this part of the GS option? There are no GS emblems appearing on front fenders.

Below are a couple of photos of the car.

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Stuart a/k/a Reatta Vice

post-76349-0-13795500-1456582638_thumb.j

post-76349-0-97208500-1456582639_thumb.j

I am not positive about the side molding, if the side moldings were standard equipment it is possible it was ordered with them deleted. I know the GS option did not include the bucket seats, the buckets were an option on their own. In fact as far as I have seen it is a pretty rare thing to have them in a '70 Riv, most I have seen, GS or not, have the bench seat.?

Nice car!

I'm with Randall on the side molding.  Put I think it was a buyer's choice as to which fender skirt that you wanted on the car.  From the years I've been around, I think that opinions are about 50/50 on short or long skirts.  No matter; that's a nice looking car!

Ed

Here's a link to the 'Evolution of the Riviera' pages on the ROA's website.  This particular one takes you to the page on the 1970 model and will answer some of the previously asked questions. 

http://rivowners.org/features/evolution/evpt70.html

Here's a link to images on Google of other 1970 Rivieras.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1970+riviera&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiP76zk1ZjLAhUFPCYKHf6DAukQ_AUIBigB

To answer your questions Stuart: (...info taken from a '70 Riviera sales brochure).

The Riviera Now Offers Its Owners New, Distinctive Styling Choices.

High Profile wheel opening covers with, or without the body side sweep spear molding.

Standard Full wheel opening covers with, or without the body side sweep spear molding.

1) The body side sweep spear molding had a 'delete option', and you had a choice of either 'High Profile, or 'Full' fender skirts.

2) Bucket Seats and Console were options, and could be ordered on any '70 Riviera, GS or otherwise.

. . . hope this helps

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Thanks everyone for the wealth of information & all the nice comments. I plan to do a little extra cosmetic detail work & cleaning to bring it up a notch & then put it up for sale. Mechanically, it does not need anything that would prevent one from driving it as a daily driver or taking it on a long road trip. Odometer currently showing 55K miles which probably is actual according to the last owner. Ice cold & strong blowing ac converted to 134a refrigerant. I just replaced the dual exhaust system.  It was purchased new in Jacksonville & stayed in North Florida since I acquired it earlier this month. No rust issues what so ever. Once I get the little bit of cosmetic work I think it needs to be a little more appealing, I will post some photos to the forum for your additional comments. This just might be the car one of you guys have been wanting to have in your stable. 

Stuart a/k/a Reatta Vice

Just as a quick note, the side moldings are body colored and just the outer edges are chrome. They came from the factory that way.  There are a number of them out there that are all chrome because if you peel the paint off, you will see that there is chrome under the paint and some people prefer the look of all chrome.  The console you have in your car is a 2 model year offering only, 1969 and 1970.  In case you aren't aware of this, the 1970 is the most horsepower year of any Riviera at 370.  Good luck with your car and keep us posted.