New to Buick

Guest jg_105

I just found a good(what looks like anyway) 1938 Special

I dont have much more information on it today,   but I wanted to know if there is anything I should look at before completing the transaction?

Body looks good (some of the rubber is dry rotten), interior looks spotless for its age.

It was parked in a very dry barn (wood floor and walls)  for the last 14 years.

Assuming I close the deal -Any sugestions of things I should do before trying to start?  

The owner assumes that all it should need is OIl change, Fuel drained and cleaned, new battery and Carb cleaned.

Thanks

For one thing, pull the plugs and pour some Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders and let it set for a few days. Try turning the motor by hand using a socket and breaker bar on the front crankshaft pulley. By trying to turn it by hand you might avoid bending a push rod. Might consider dropping the pan and cleaning it along with the oil pump screen.

Edited by g-g-g0 (see edit history)

Probably needs tires for any real driving assuming they are at least 14 years old. Take the belt loose and make sure you can move the water pump easily by hand. If not, the pump may be seized. Of course these aren't necessarily deciding factors when deciding whether to buy the car, just things to plan for if needed.

Lastly, keep a fire extinguisher nearby when you first get power to it.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

Mine sat for 32 years, but it was driven once a year to the inspection station to get current tags. Each year exactly 30 miles was added to the speedometer as shown on the inspection papers. When I got it the original tires were still on it so they were replaced. I also replaced the brake shoes in the rear. All of the wheel cylinders were also replaced. The radiator needed to be back flushed and the block cleaned out to make the cooling system work its best. I also removed the plugs and squirted Marvel Oil in the cylinders and then SEA FOAM DEEP CREEP to free up some stuck rings in one cylinder. I put new plugs in it at that time and changed the oil in the engine and transmission. I drive it almost daily now with no problems, I hope yours works out as good, they are great cars.

Edited by LAS VEGAS DAVE (see edit history)

I'm a firm believer in dropping the pan on an engine that hasnt run in a long time. Gunk can accumulate and block the oil pump screen.

I have seen more than one engine that has been ruined because of a blocked oil screen after sitting for years.

A gasket is cheap insurance

Thanks

Looks like Ill be picking it up Next week!!

Not ready for a full restoration,  but hopefully I can get it on the road for some basic driving this summer!

As soon as it home Ill snap some pics!!

Thanks

Any idea on Oil grade for the car?  

and Fuel pressure?  (he added a fuel pump but its around 8psi and he thinks its flooding the carb)

Ive ordered the repair manual,   but its going to take a week or more to come