'29 Plymouth Diff help

Carsnz123

I have a 1929 Plymouth which one of the axles in the diff is shifting in its bearing. My diagnosis of the problem is the bearing is poked one needs replacing as well as the axle looking at. My main issue is how to get the axles out of the diff. I have a Chrysler handbook of the same year and it says the axles are held in by the brake backing plate. Removing the backing plate yields nothing as far as axles coming out. 

Has anyone done a Rebuild on an early Plymouth and knows the best way of doing it? ply33 I'm looking in your direction.

Cheers  

William 

You will have to get a puller to slide the axle out after removing the backing plate. If they are the same as my 1931 Dodge, there is a set of bearings that are back to back on a little ridge on the axle. Sometimes a slide hammer will pull the axles right out without much resistance.

If I recall correctly, I removed the brake backing plate then re-installed the brake drums and used the drums as a way to grip the axle. I don't recall how much force was needed to pull the axle out but I was several decades younger and stronger when I did it.

One note: There may/probably will be some shims. Either just behind the brake backing plate or maybe in the back by the felt oil seal (I think that varies depending on year and/or model). They are to compensate for manufacturing variations in the axle housing and should be put back as found to maintain proper clearances.

Got the diff apart today. One axle came out with the brake drum trick but the other required a bottle jack to push it out. All the axle bearings are shot, one is spinning on the axle and two fell apart on the garage floor as soon as they left their outer races. looks like a complete diff rebuild is in order. This aint gonna be cheap.

I would really like to know how you used a bottle jack to push the axle out.  I just can't get my head around the mechanics of that.  I think your axle is very similar to the one in my 1932 Dodge Brothers.  I found all new bearings and seals at my local bearing shop at reasonable prices.