Pennsylvania Tax ID number help

TailfinEra

Hi everyone,

I am new to having a space at the Hershey swap meet and I am trying to obtain a Pennsylvania Tax ID number.  I went on line and found form PA-100 which I started filling out.  However, it sure seems like there are a lot of questions that I don't understand or know the answer for.  So my first question would be, as an individual, is the PA-100 form the correct form?  If so, the questions about enterprises, do you just list your name for all questions related?  Just trying to figure it all out.  I would imagine that there are a few of you on here who have been through this before.  Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Josh

Hi Josh,

The PA-100 is the correct form to apply for a PA Tax ID number, which applies to sales tax.  You can either complete the form online or complete a downloaded copy which can then be mailed into the PA Revenue Dept.

If you are registering for a sales tax ID for an individual, not a business, then you would use your name and/or personal social security number on the form for any questions asking for your "enterprise".

Once you get your PA sales tax ID number don't forget to then take this ID and register for a PA e-tides account so you can submit and pay your filings. - Bob

• 3 weeks later...

It is a  pain you have to file quarterly returns too, and they change the log procedure,  I can't file this latest one.  We normally only take order at Hershey and show samples, 

packards42,  For PA you now have to file and pay your quarterly estimates through the PA Revenue Department's e-tides website .

I just filed my quarterly return for my Hershey sales a few weeks ago through the e-tides website and did not appear to have any issues.  When using the e-tides site you will select the "sales tax" section and to make sure you have your the "enterprise/account id" number that was assigned to you as part of your PA-100 form submission. - Bob

I was never informed of a change in filing. I have been doing twice a year for years and I do it by telephone. Just did it for the last half of the 2015 about a month ago. In the 1/2 year that I have nothing to report I just push the right button at the right time and they say thank you and go away. In the 1/2 year that includes Hershey I punch in the proper info in for sales and get a filing number and what I owe with discount for filing on time. I send a check with all the appropriate numbers and I'm done. When they first setup the online filing I didn't like all hoops they wanted me to jump through and found the alternative for those that don't use computers.

You are correct that you can file PA sales tax via phone, and pay by check, using the PA TeleFile system as long as your tax due is less than $1000.  If your tax due is greater than $1000 you can still file via telephone but you must then submit the payment electronically.  The $1000 limit allows many to take advantage of filing by phone and paying by check.

All new persons/businesses who register for a PA sales tax ID must submit and pay their PA sales tax quarterly during their first year.  Based on the filings during their first year the PA revenue department can adjust your filing schedule for future years (incurring taxes only once a year for Hershey would be a good example were they could change your filing schedule to semi-annual). How often do I have to pay my PA sales tax...

Edited by Butler Old Stone House (see edit history)