66 vs 67 Differences

ASUIN93

I have a 66 Riviera GS and so does my father. We are having trouble locating some parts. In many of the catalogs, there seems to be more aftermarket offerings for the 65 down and 67 up.  Other than the 425 vs 430 engine size, what are the main differences between the 66 and 67? Should I be able to use a 67 fan shroud on the 66?

Sorry No. The fan shroud is different as is radiator due to location of inlet and outlet, fill cap and tranny cooler. 66 shroud is a one year only item and therefore is in demand and can be expensive if found undamaged. There are a ton of differences way more than one might think especially if you get down to small details. Sheet metal and glass crosses over but there are even differences there such as the hood since 66 has RIVIERA in letter form and 67 has a script. I could type for an hour listing the differences and still not cover them all. There are many parts that functionally cross but cosmetically aren't same.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Try 'Googling' 1966 Riviera door panels and click on the images link, download a couple of good pictures, then do the same for 1967.  Compare them and you should be able to get a good idea of the differences.  In those years, the basic car may have been built on the same platform and used some of the basic sheet metal from year to year but to be able to sell it as a different car from the previous year, it's the little things that changed - paint, textures, colors, and anything else that did not require some major machining or stamping tools.  That means that dash knobs, grills, door panels, etc. are going to be different, things that are easier to change year to year.  Therefore, you'll probably find more things different than alike, other than glass, brakes, etc.

I know that when I look at my '63 and '64 side by side they, they look very much alike.  But if I look at things like the escutcheons that surround the remote mirror joystick , they're a different shape, as are the visor mounting plates, and the base of the rear view mirror.  Some knobs are smooth, some are ribbed. 

As Jason points out, there are major differences because the'66 was the last year for one engine and the '67 was the first year for a new engine. Starters are on different sides of the block, the center link is different because of oil pan clearance.  The list goes on.

Look in the classified section of the Riview and find people who are parting out '66 Rivieras and source your parts from them.  Good luck.

Ed

The interior door panels (assuming deluxe interior?)are same except for the location of the lock post/actuator. Its all the way back on 66 and forward about 8-10" on 67. In order to use a 67 panel on a 66 you'd either need to make a new hole in panel to match up to the lock rod and then patch the old hole or get the lock linkage from a 67 and install in the 66 door moving it forward to match the hole in panel for 67. Not exactly a desirable task but I have done it many years ago when I thought 66-67 doors were same. Had a 67 and bought a used door from AZ only to find out it was a 66 door and lock was in wrong place requiring drilling a new hole in the layered steel. Also the hinge bolt threads in door are different between 66/67.

Are you running A/C? If not you don't need a shroud. Just get a non-A/C metal top cover. Non-A/C cars did not have a shroud.

post-93929-0-08251200-1453497750_thumb.j

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

The interior door panels (assuming deluxe interior?)are same except for the location of the lock post/actuator. Its all the way back on 66 and forward about 8-10" on 67. In order to use a 67 panel on a 66 you'd either need to make a new hole in panel to match up to the lock rod and then patch the old hole or get the lock linkage from a 67 and install in the 66 door moving it forward to match the hole in panel for 67. Not exactly a desirable task but I have done it many years ago when I thought 66-67 doors were same. Had a 67 and bought a used door from AZ only to find out it was a 66 door and lock was in wrong place requiring drilling a new hole in the layered steel. Also the hinge bolt threads in door are different between 66/67.

Are you running A/C? If not you don't need a shroud. Just get a non-A/C metal top cover. Non-A/C cars did not have a shroud.

Did heavy-duty cooling include a full shroud and a fan clutch in '66? 

I know mine did not. 

DSC_0034.jpg

Edited by austingta (see edit history)

If your car does not include the A/C option, I think the fan would be direct drive, no thermal clutch or shroud. I think that your air cleaner snorkel should be pointed toward the power steering pump; at least that's the way the pancake air cleaners are oriented on the 63 and 64 nailheads; '66 might be different but ????? If you look at the base, you'll see tabs that align with parts on the carb's air horn so that the base cannot be turned without first lifting it.

Ed