What is this device connected to Dynaflow ?

Rooster

I am underneath my son's '62 Wildcat fixing some Dynaflow oil leaks and I see this device connected in the oil cooler return line.

It appears to be some kind of 1 way valve ?   There is a flow direction stamped on it and to blow through it is VERY restrictive.

Is this a factory part ?    Doesn't look like it to me, so why would anyone connect this.  I'm not keen to put it back in unless someone can give me definitive help on it's purpose.   It's in the lower oil line, the one that connects to the rear extension housing.

So please, what do you think.

post-85319-0-00794500-1452752105_thumb.j

post-85319-0-04652800-1452752118_thumb.j

Couldn't be a factory 1962 piece with those clamps.  And, as for it's factual purpose, I cannot be of assistance.   My guess is that someone tried to reduce oil flow to the rear extension housing to slow an oil leak.  But I defer to the experts.

It probably is an anti-drainback valve.  Dodge trucks use it to keep the torque converter from draining back into the pan during prolonged sitting.  It is not a simple check valve, but will flow fluid under pressure, but not static.  You can remove it, but may find out the reason it was used in the first place.:D

One of my 55's drains back and will puke fluid on startup...I may try one.

Willie

• Like 1

I agree Willie, it's some kind of anti-drain back valve.   But what gets me is that it's in the radiator cooler return line, so to me really does nothing.

If it was in the supply line to the cooler that would make sense because it would not allow fluid in the cooler tank to drain back into the trans oil pan and pour out somewhere.

The device is very restrictive and I don't see the trans pump overcoming it much to have any too much effect on cooling.  As you say, I will remove it and monitor.

I did have the rear extension housing off to replace bushing and rear seal which was leaking bad.

Could someone please confirm which oil line is the supply to cooler and which is return to assist in my decision making.

Thanks.

(No expert on DynaFlows).  In general, "anti-drainback" valves were later internalized to the transmission, used in the torque converter "supply" circuit.  Some seemed to work better than others, especially on cold starts after siting overnight, by observation.  On some, a start in "N" would ensure the converter was "charged" before putting the car in gear, due to line pressures of the respective fluid circuits.  Just my observations.

NTX5467