WTB looking for a running 32 motor

oscar

Broken bolts in the block are not a big deal. There are a number of ways to remove them. 

Here is one of the best ways that I have seen and probably the easiest if you have access to a welder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRrz-cphBY4

Rust in the block is normal for very old cars.

IMO, many times it is better to fix the known what you have than buy something that you do not know the total condition. 

The biggest reasons to get a new engine are,  1.  A rod broke and went through the side of the block,  2. Someone left water in the engine and it froze cracking the block,  3, The cylinders are extremely worn out and all would need to be sleeved to get the block into usable specifications.

Just my opinion.

Larry,

I've seen that video.  I can only wonder how tight that bolt was in the demo.  A broken head bolt broke because it was frozen in the block assuming you broke it taking it out.  Will the weld be stronger than the bolt that broke?  Not sure of a better idea short of drilling it out and helicoil.  I guess I'd soak the heck out of it with your favorite penetrant first and then try the nut trick first, can't hurt.

Back to the engine search part of this post.  Make sure you check for a cracked block before you do any investing in purchasing a block or machining it.

I have two '32 engines, different from each other but both smaller than my '31 series 80. I conclude that one is a 50 series and the other a 60. They're quite a bit different in condition ( believe the 50 series is close to a runner.,..the one that appears to be the 60, in my recollection, was outdoors on the coast for years, so the accessories are useless, but I've got the pan off and the innards look pretty good. And of course I have no idea whether they're cracked or not. One or both are certainly available, but each weighs approximately was much as a midsize bulldozer so shipping would be a challenge. Anyway, if this might help, let me know if you're anywhere near the west coast (southern Oregon).

By the way, I have front and rear ends from both running gears along with one of the transmissions.

autodeco57 BCA #44510

Sorry Larry,

I'm not as lucky as that guy in the second video either.  My bolts don't break off in aluminum, they strip the aluminum thread first, and then come out.  And the ones that break off in cast iron do so with no portion of the broken bolt remaining proud if the surface like that guy.  Ha.

Signed,

Broke in Michigan

• Like 1

Yes, 31 and 32 Buick 8's are the same three engines. The 60's are shorter than the 80/90 345's, and the 50's are shorter still. The 50's are the only ones without the distinctive external water manifold atop the head beside the valve cover. Attached are one or more pictures of the "32 50 series engine I have. I think the last picture is of the 60 as I don't remember taking off the exhaust manifold from the other one.

Bear with me, Safari isn't taking my pictures...I'll try fourpost-117017-0-28425200-1452318600_thumb.post-117017-0-50511100-1452318986_thumb.post-117017-0-06073100-1452319102_thumb.post-117017-0-97000100-1452318959_thumb..

Steve Gorthy autodeco57 BCA 44510