Dealer Sign? Help Identifying Sign Please

Riviera63

Hi,

I recently purchased a Riviera sign from a local gentleman. He has been and still is a collector of automobilia for decades focusing mainly on Buick. I believe him to be quite knowledgeable. He believed this to be what was left of a sign that would have been backlit and on display at a Buick dealership. This seems to me to be a reasonable assumption. Someone over the years had slopped paint on the back which would have ruined it as far as using it again as a backlit sign. Fortunately, the paint was latex and I was able to get it off. The sign looks very nice now. I did find out by accident, almost with disastrous results, that the painted letters/Riv symbol were watercolor. I found this to be very interesting and surprised that as such, the lettering had survived all these years. What I am wondering is if anyone has any knowledge of this type of sign such as: Was it actually a dealer sign? What year(s) might it have been used? What type of case might it have had surrounding it? The sign is 12 1/2" tall, 23 1/2" across the bottom and 29 1/2" across the top. Any info/background that anyone can furnish would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

post-151839-0-92452600-1451840669_thumb.post-151839-0-36635900-1451840878_thumb.post-151839-0-43194400-1451840899_thumb.post-151839-0-58013200-1451840716_thumb.post-151839-0-61376300-1451840818_thumb.

I can't answer any of your questions, but whatever type of sign it is, seems rather cool.  Can't say I've ever seen 1 like it before ... neat!

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"A special kind of sunshine in a smile" __ Oak Ridge Boys __ 'Thank God For Kids'

Hi, Bill. Yes, that is a unique, nifty-looking Riviera sign. Congratulations on your excellent find. I'm going to toss out a thought on the vintage. I believe it could be a 1971 dealer showroom sign. This would coordinate with the introduction of the new "boattail" (did I spell that right?) Riviera design. No one could deny that certainly was a "New Look" for the Riv. Best of luck with your project. John

• Like 1