Trunk light 1969 Riviera

kreed

Just got my 69 back from paint job and the trunk light will not go off when the lid is shut, thus my battery runs down . Are these type of lights activated /inactivated by Mercury or a ball bearing that moves when the lid is shut. I have tried repositioning the clamp that holds as the bulb to no avail . Also the clamp holding the bulb on the deck lid has to be grounded to the lid to work at all. Any suggestions ? Thanks

Kendall Reed

ROA #14549

Mercury or ball bearing ??? but they are activated by being angled.  Best bet before finding a replacement is to take out the bulb for now.  I usually do that anyway.  I usually don't need to get into the trunk when it's dark (if I were to have to do that, the "flashlight app" on my phone would do) and when it's open for any length of time it's usually at a show.  Apparently I don't need it.  :)  Something that separates the Buicks from the lessers.

It's a mercury activated switch Kendall.

When the lid is down - no power, when the lid is raised the mercury completes the circuit, and the light comes on.

Try testing it when it's not mounted in the lid by tilting the assembly to see if it works and the assembly must be grounded.

You may just have to adjust the bend angle of the mounting bracket tab to get the switch to function properly.

Hi Kendall,

Most Buick's (and other GM makes) used mercury tilt switches up through 2003. You can find them in the Reatta and other cars of that era too.

it is usually located just below the lamp. Removing the lamp, the switch may just fall out. Without the switch, the lamp will not light.

On my '63, it was glass and I could see the mercury.

I was able to replace mine with a ball bearing model and had the mercury safely sent to a hazardous materials recycling center.

I don't have a pic showing my original, but the attached is similar to my replacement.

Why on Earth do we want such a poisonous material moving around at 70 MPH in millions of vehicles?

Thanks,

Chuck

post-107285-0-61634000-1450468501.gif