1941 Buick trunk lining fabric

Lawrence Helfand

I am looking for the large grid fabric used in the 41 Century and Roadmaster trunk. I have not found a source and would be quite happy with any used material that members might have left over and saved or any scraps left over from restoration. It is an original car so it does not need to be perfect. Here is most recent photo of my progress cleaning up  40 years of storage neglect on this black beauty. Included is a scrap of paper I found in the trunk with a previous owners for sale note. . Thanks all! Lawrence

post-155022-0-43902100-1449413055_thumb.

post-155022-0-94544600-1449413066_thumb.

post-155022-0-91503000-1449413079_thumb.

post-155022-0-52184500-1449413262_thumb.

HI Dave, Mine too! A bit of a dream come true to have found a time capsule 66S which are near impossible to find in any condition. Everything but the clock is working perfectly even the wipers. Mileage indicates about 27,989 miles and it might be correct. Very little wear on anything except a hole in the driver seat. I have nice skirts for it and very nice oval Guide fogs with the colorless center fading into yellow lenses.Even found the correct washer and fog light switch's so you could day I am obsessed with her at the moment.   Looks to have spent it's life around Spokane WA. I did find it was registered to a Mildred Raymond in 1961 and two other owners before and after until coming to rest in the early 70's in Northern Idaho until last year surfacing on Craigs list and making it to the east coast via a new owner in Los Gatos CA. who put it on Ebay and took my offer.  Have lots to do on it but this Spring we hope to be driving it a lot! Heres how it looked when I got it

post-155022-0-49661300-1449421628_thumb.

Hi Pete, yes gave them and a few others a try. Hampton once had some I was told but ran out long before they were bought by Lebaron Bonney. There are some lining fabrics offered but not the correct pattern. I love the 41 Special Sedanette and was looking for one or a 49 sedanette when this appeared. I sold two cars and three motorcycles to make it happen. I knew I would not get a second chance at finding one so good and affordable! 

Hi Lawrence,

Please, keep up the search! My father and I are in the same position concerning trunk lining material for our 1941 Century 61 with code 913 wool broadcloth interior.

Like you, we currently have black sidewall tires installed. A nice change-up from the usual wide whites.

Good luck with your Century!

Lawrence, in 2009 I bought a complete trunk upholstery kit for my 41 Special Sedanette SSE model, which used the same trunk material as the Century (Large square pattern).  I got it from Jenkins Restoration & Interiors, North Wilkesboro, N.C.  It's an exact match for the original material.  Mr. Jenkins passed away a few years ago, so I don't know if they still are in business or not, but you might want to check them out.  I also bought a reproduction floor mat with the correct carpet insert for the 41SSE and Century (I supplied the carpet and Jenkins bonded it to the reproduction mat.).  The quality of both items was very good.

Dave 

post-92691-0-85139300-1449493919_thumb.j

HI Dave. I heard from another member that he got the very last of the Jenkins lining from Hampton who still had some as they made it for him I understand. Just enough to finish his gorgeous 41 Roadmaster ragtop. I will test hand wash a small piece of what I do have and see if it will hang together. Maybe a member has saved a bit of old fabric from a restoration. It is an original car so there is a lower threshold regarding condition and more time for driving I hope. Over the winter I will be going over the running gear and swapping out the right side fenders which suffered a sideswipe? and were poorly repaired long ago. Car came with some matching seat fabric so front bench bottom will get recovered.  Radiator will get re cored for peace of mind and rubber hoses seals etc replaced. Car has an immense amount of rubber parts all quite cracked flattened twisted and crumbling. I think the door and trunk seals are at the top of the list.  I am sure some negative surprises await but getting it back on the road for Spring is the mission. Once plates are on it I will have an exhaust shop fit dual pipes as I think it really needs to breath a little better. Will have to find a local shop to weld in two pretty small patches under the rockers as well. Have not had it out of the driveway yet, can't wait! 

post-155022-0-69244600-1449508313_thumb.

I don't think it has a problem breathing as far as the exhaust is concerned, but if I was going to modify it I would go with dual pipes mainly for the sound. I'll still bet the performance won't be anything you could feel the difference with. When I was a teen in the fifties a fastback Buick was just cool.

Some good news to those like Chrysler300Xman member and myself who are looking for this box pattern trunk fabric. I emailed Matt Harwood, lovely man indeed if you have read his restoration diary of this same model you cant help but appreciate that in the midst of a challenging restoration he shared all he learned along the way, amazing. Anyway Matt also did his trunk lining and found it at SMS in Oregon.. That was some years ago but timing is everything and they are right now working on a run of this pattern maybe a month to be available. There will only be so much and a list has been started to reserve yours. I think eight yards should do it. Thank you Matt! 

Hi Keith, Thank you Sir!  It is hard to not fall in love with these 41 Buicks and I will happily trade you a nice Century for your gorgeous Roadmaster! I always loved the grey pleated leather upholstery in my dads 1950 Century that was a cancelled special order and was destined to be a taxi cab in South America somewhere. It came with fold out jump seats behind the front bench so you could jam a lot of people in there. Anderson recently sent me a photo of his newly finished long term resto  41 Roadmaster convertible..a silver grey beauty. The only other Buick I think I might need to rob a bank for is the 49 Roadmaster sedanette..

Lawrence

Thanks, Lawrence, but I think I'll keep my Roadmaster for a while yet. I love too many cars, and not just Buicks, but the '49 Roadmaster sedanette is very high on my list of want to own. My problem is that I seem to always do this for love, and then I cannot part with my car, instead of buying and selling every couple years or so.

That sounds like an interesting story about your Dad's '50.

Keith