I need some advice.

Guest drnittler

Guest drnittler

I am a long time member but have never made a meet. I have a chance to go to the meet in Galveston, TX Fall 1916. (My first).

I could use any advice about how to get my car ready and hopefully earn a third junior award. The car in question is a daily driver (a 1961 Studebaker Lark) and all around all purpose antique car. I know nothing on how an AACA meet works so any help is appreciated.

(PS I am in the MAP program).

Thanks

I'm not saying you should not have it point judged, but considering your description: How original is your Lark? Maybe you should consider HPOF.  But if you want it point judged, go for it.  Then no matter what award you receive, write the VP of Judging after the meet and ask for the judging comments (No deduction numbers will be given, but at least you will know areas of major deduction.)

At any rate, download the judging guidelines from the AACA website. That will give you a basis for your decision.

Make sure you read the parts about originality and condition.  Radials on a 61 Lark would be a "no-no" (unless you really want a third junior).

Have a judge in your area go over it and point out the deductions he/she sees.

Wash it and wax it to spiffy clean, including the chassis and motor.

Bring documentation for anything that might be questioned.

And don't forget those "minor" deductions like valve caps and proper hose clamps.

Register before the deadline.

Go to the owners meeting at the meet.

Go to the judging school at the meet, even if you are not interested in judging.  It is a great place to get to know our judging system.

Enjoy yourself!

BTW, I love Larks. Post us a picture.

Edited by Phillip Cole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I would agree that you might want to download the judging guidelines and study them a bit. As a rule of thumb, in class judging, your car is judgeded as compared to the way it would have looked when it was delivered to the first owner by the dealer. In HPOF, the car's components are evaluated only regarding originality, condition is not important. In DPC, the car is evaluated somewhat like class judging but allowances are made for a number of allowed deviations from how the car was originally delivered to the first owner. DPC is designed for cars that are "drivers", that may not be well suited for the rigors of class judging.

An experienced judge in your area could look at the car and give you his or her opinion on how you might want to register it for the meet.

Guest drnittler

Thanks one and all for the help. I wish I knew a judge in south Texas who could look over my car. As for loading a picture I can;t seem to the files to download. Maybe the set  up is wrong. Thanks

Mr. Nittler, I add this in case you might like to know:

I always enter my cars in their class (such as 16, 27D, etc.),

but check "Do Not Judge"  on the registration form.

That way, the cars are parked with other cars of their year range.

They simply aren't evaluated for trophies.  To me, the CARS are

the trophies, and I enjoy sharing them with the public and discussing

them.  Whether they win awards makes no difference to me.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)