Your first Buick

NC-car-guy

I'm a dentist in England, just about to retire. I always loved cars, and after my Father had an almost new Rover P4 90 when I was just a little boy, I always loved Rovers and drove P4's for decades. But in the background I always also admired American Classics; so rare over here back in the day, they have a big following now and an equally big and enthusiastic club scene. A trip to Cuba a year ago really fired my interest, and to cut a long story short I just bought my first Buick: a '49 Roadmaster Sedanet. It's been here since 1999 but out of use for some years, and is currently being restored by professionals. Everything came together: these guys' work I saw, and one of post war America's most charismatic cars: simply beautiful. I can hardly wait to see it finished, though because the interior has to be restored pretty well from scratch, it'll be some months before I get to use it.

If anybody is interested in my late coming to Buick ownership and cares to comment about interior restoration, have a look at my post about it in the Buick forum which I wrote earlier today. I'd appreciate any help, advice, and photos of authentic or near authentic interiors before we really get going on that part of the restoration...

Meanwhile I wonder how long it will be before I'm over in th States buying another Buick to match, either a Riviera or a Convertible, from my favourite little era, 1948-1952...

• Like 3

My first Buick I purchased about 13 years ago is 1912 McLaughlin-Buick Model 35 I found on Hemmings.com  from a guy in Michigan. It turns out I saw this same car and took a picture of it in 1970 at Hershey as a 12 year old when the show was in the stadium. When the seller send me pictures, mentioned it was in the 70 years of Buick book and send a copy of the page. It turns out that picture was taken the same Day as mine as the same guy who restored it was sitting in the front seat with blue windbreaker and his name tag. I took the picture in 1970 as my Dad had a unrestored 12 Buick Model 35. As he just passed away, I now have the Flinted bodied car and it is almost completely restored. At some point, I will have both together and take pictures to show the differences. I have toured in the McLaughlin about 1500 miles.  

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio

• Like 1

Probably not too long,  once most of us are hooked, it gets a little out of control.

Tell me about it....

Or a lot out of control, depending on your perspective...and willpower...sigh. Never met a Buick I couldn't get interested in...my mechanic recently told me about a two door Park Avenue (1985?) for sale. Sitting on hands right now.

• Like 1

A 1985 2 door Park Ave is worth a look-see, but, my understanding is that 85 Park Aves (first year with front wheel drive) have had a lot of technical issues. One might think after all this time they are worked out, if the car is still in use.  

• Like 1

My first Buick was my first car. It was a '50 Buick Roadmaster  with all the options for that model that year. It was a Dynaflow car with no leaks. It was a two tone car with a light blue/green body and a black top. The first major repair on it was a blown head gasket that head must have weighed a ton. We had a lot of adventures her and I and outside of the head gasket and a dropped tie-rod end one dark night she served me well. Thanks to stupidity on a young mans part she was left at a wrecking yard after towing in a couple of her contemporaries. I still remember her to this day what a great car and what a smooth ride.   

• Like 1

My first Buick was my first car. It was a '50 Buick Roadmaster  with all the options for that model that year. It was a Dynaflow car with no leaks. It was a two tone car with a light blue/green body and a black top. The first major repair on it was a blown head gasket that head must have weighed a ton. We had a lot of adventures her and I and outside of the head gasket and a dropped tie-rod end one dark night she served me well. Thanks to stupidity on a young mans part she was left at a wrecking yard after towing in a couple of her contemporaries. I still remember her to this day what a great car and what a smooth ride.   

While I didn't leave my first Buick in a wrecking yard, I do have seller's remorse!