Need Help on '37 Twelve Engine Detail

dpeeler

We're putting the finishing touches on a '37 Twelve engine compartment and need to know the routing and how the armoured ignition cable was attached to the spark plug wire tube. It appears there are 2 small holes underneath the tube that may have held a hidden clip. If so, is there a source for the clips? Merritt doesn't have them.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

David

That's the wrong side of the engine.  He needs the passenger side where the ignition cable runs from the firewall to the coils.  The only person I know that made the clips is Dave Mitchell, but that was only for his own restorations.   I haven't been able to buy them for him.  

Thanks for the replies. I was also referred to Brian Joseph (Classic & Exotic) and, while his website shows a clip that mounts to a head stud on the engine, somehow it doesn't look like I'd imagined. I have a call into them for clarification.

I actually have never seen the clip I'm looking for, but have been told by several that they could make one if they had something to go by. Anyone have an original for a pattern??

Dave Mitchell - could you describe the clip and maybe include a photo of the clip as well as how it's mounted on the engine?

Thanks again!

I'm not saying that what I have posted here is correct, but--were it to be routed along the spark plug wire tube I don't know that there would be enough length in the shielded cable, at least on the car we have here. Someone may have cut some length off at some point, making this routing necessary. 

Here is a site with quite a few 1937 12 engine details where the cable is shown running along the tube, then clamped to the side of the block before going up to the coil. When I used to judge Packards many years ago, I seem to recall seeing most done this way but I suspect there may have been factory variations. Perhaps it depended on the source for the cable as this one is fairly long compared to those I've seen clamped at the top.

https://sites.google.com/site/1937packard12/home/photos/engine

. . . and another that shows it running entirely below the head.

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/WA0614-185547/0/1937-Packard-Twelve-Victoria-Convertible/3-Speed/

Edited by Packard Don (see edit history)

The more I see and read, I believe Packard clipped the cable to the plug wire tube. Now what do the clips look like?? There are 2 holes in the underside of the tube that the clips must snap in, but the shape must match the tube. In none of the photos does it show any part of the clip if you standing looking at the engine. Clips anyone?

Thanks for all the help so far!

David

I saw yet another with the cable tucked in behind the oil filler and not attached to anything that I could see but I doubt that was original. I'm sure you already did it but I looked through the shop manual and, of course, it does not show anything either and neither does the owner manual.

I'll make some up for you guys. I made some for K8096, but missed him at Hershey that year somehow. The photos are all wrong, other than the one set of the 37 phaeton which is only partially wrong as to the routing and placement of the front clip. John, your 37 needs the correct ones too if you want a set, and the 36 posted by OD is completely wrong. I have seen them all over the place. People go to so much work to do their engine, and then just give up at the end and put them willy nilly anywhere they like.  

Dave Mitchell knows his stuff and is one of the good guys. A number of years ago when I bought my 36 std 8 club sedan I needed the hood side trim as mine were cracked and broken, Dave was generous to come through for me on these and they are on the car to this day and it sits about 15 feet away from where I am typing this. It is good guys like Dave that keep all the great old Packards on the road with his accurate , sound advice and effort to reproduce parts for 75+ year old cars.