1960 Buick Lesaber

Guest greesemonkey

Guest greesemonkey

I have a 1960Buick Lesaber  It has an exhaust leak but I cant seem to locate it. Sounds like its coming from the intake manifold.

Anyone ever had this problem  Thanks in advance

Isn't there a heat riser forcing the exhaust across intake manifold under the carb? I know that most cars had them, and they can seize in a closed position, that would force a flow of hot exhaust constantly across the intake. I also believe that it passes across the intake manifold through a ported area in the base of the carb. It could be something as simple as a blown out base gasket. I am just guessing but I know the exhaust gasses are routed that way on many cars.

Check that the manifold bolts are tight. Then check to see if someone has installed manifold gaskets. If they have one might be blown. Remove them, I don't use exhaust manifold gaskets on Buick nailheads, they tend to leak.

Check the heat tube for the choke as well. They can rot out.

Bernie

That intake manifold has a steel disk in the bottom of the manifold.  It is just like a disk freeze plug.  That has most likely rusted out.  You will need to pull the manifold, grind the punch marks staking it into the manifold.  It can be replaced with a standard disk freeze plug.  You can seat it just like a regular freeze plug.  I did this on my '60 Invicta about 20 years ago and it is still sealing.