1934 Dodge overdrive install

Being done to a 34 Dodge coupe. Using an overdrive trans from a 36 Chry. 

And yes, overdrive was available in 34. Saw it in a book that was printed in 34.

Yeah...I sent those pics to Dave of my convertible coupe project the other day. It's actually a '37 Chrysler OD trans.

Dave, I'd love to see your reference on OD for Dodge for '34 as my reference and parts books show only the Airflows had them in '34, with Dodge and Plymouth available as an option in '36.

Yeah...I sent those pics to Dave of my convertible coupe project the other day. It's actually a '37 Chrysler OD trans.

Dave, I'd love to see your reference on OD for Dodge for '34 as my reference and parts books show only the Airflows had them in '34, with Dodge and Plymouth available as an option in '36.

I'll find it when we get done moving. It was an article in an export book that it was available in 34. No part numbers in my parts book. We deal a lot in the 33 to 35 Dodge trucks and the books show nothing for the 73" KCL pick up box until Feb of 35. But I know of 2 KCLs, 34 and a 1st series 35 that is a KCL.

1934 Dodge overdrive. Looks like I found it somewhere on the AACA Forum.

Thanks for that Dave! And I actually have the book that came from! It's from the standard catalog of American cars. Not sure it's correct though :unsure: Has anybody ever seen a '34 Dodge OD trans?

I think they should have been referring to the automatic clutch not an overdrive in the standard catalog of American cars. I've never seen any factory reference to an o/d in 34.

I too have put a 37 Chrysler in my 34 Coupe. I did it a bit differently in that I'm using the cross member mounted original gear shift lever. It appears in the picture above that the cross member was modified a bit to allow the 37 shifter to be used. Not a bad idea as getting the alignment right for the original set up can be a pain. I've got another o/d that's waiting to go into my conv. coupe when I get back at it. I sure like having the o/d. Makes all the difference on the highway.

Ken

I think they should have been referring to the automatic clutch not an overdrive in the standard catalog of American cars. I've never seen any factory reference to an o/d in 34.

I too have put a 37 Chrysler in my 34 Coupe. I did it a bit differently in that I'm using the cross member mounted original gear shift lever. It appears in the picture above that the cross member was modified a bit to allow the 37 shifter to be used. Not a bad idea as getting the alignment right for the original set up can be a pain. I've got another o/d that's waiting to go into my conv. coupe when I get back at it. I sure like having the o/d. Makes all the difference on the highway.

Ken

Well the o/d install above is untested so we'll see how it works out when I get it on the road. I may need to provide more clearance between the shifter and cross member. Are you happy with using the '34 shifter? Will you use that method on the convertible? Just curious because I have a coupe as well that will get an o/d and it might be better to install it the way you did.

Bill

Are you saying that you adapted the 34 shifter to the 36-37 trans? How is that done? We are interested on the procedure.

Thanks for your input.

A number of people in the Cascade Pacific Region of the Plymouth Owners Club have '37 DeSoto overdrive transmissions in their '33 Plymouths. I did not crawl under to look closely, but talking with them, if I recall correctly, they said you simply swap the top cover(s) between the two transmissions. I think they may have used the freewheel control cable to control the overdrive.

Ply33 is almost correct on swapping the covers. The original cover isn't long enough so you have to weld in a section. It's been a while since I did the install but I think I also had to use the shift rails from the 34 transmission. The alignment issue is to due with the rear motor mounts on the bell housing. The mounts are on slotted holes for adjustment.  Because the shifter is mounted solidly to the cross member, if this alignment is out then it can be tough to get into 2nd gear. I know this the hard way... Once you have the alignment correct though, it shifts fine. Having the synchros is nice too. I'm also using the shift cable from the 37 Chrysler. I don't think the free wheeling cable is heavy enough for the od application. It's quite stiff to engage. If you're looking for an od make sure it's from a 37-38 6 cyl Chrysler or Desoto. I believe the Airflow and the 8 cyl used longer transmissions and they won't fit in the Dodge  X frame. I never thought to take pictures when I put the od in my coupe. Here is the od I'm putting in the convt.

Ken

post-126176-0-65797900-1439969570_thumb.

post-126176-0-04347700-1439969574_thumb.

The trans from a 38 has the E brake on the driver's side and was applied by a hand brake under the dash. The floor E brake handle was eliminated in 38 cars and not the trucks. Also the export 36 Dodge and Plymouth had OD installed. Would be neat to see pictures of that setup. I beleave the Chrysler 8 cyl s the same length. Here is on from a 37 Imperial flat 8 that we sold.

post-121135-0-32125400-1440009355_thumb.