Classic Car hit by Semi - Michigan

CarFreak

Riding in a classic car without seats belts is a death wish.  I sold my 1917 Model T for the fear of being in accident in an antiquated vehicle.  Even my grandfather's  1973 Lincoln Continental Mark IV, which is in survivor condition I would have concerns.  I take my other vintage ride early on Sunday mornings ~7:00 am.  Can't trust the current generation of drivers or the others in the senior realm.

13 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Let us please put this thread to rest.

We've learned from it, I'm sure, and the

people involved in the accident would

surely love to be going forward with their lives.

Amen and amen.

The moderators can lock it up if they please, but you assume that we can move forward. Our lives have been irreversibly changed.

We haven't traveled in over two years when we had been attending 4-6 Concours a year. We've only done one local show.

My wife won't ride in the collector cars anymore. She hasn't driven one since the crash. She hasn't judged since the crash. 

It's not easy to move on.

Barry I’m sorry this has continued to cause you and your wife heartaches. If talking about it helps then I’m sure many on this site would help. If continuing this thread causes you more pain by bringing up bad memories then tell us and as you say the moderator can shut it down. I’m sure John meant this in his post. 

Please know that we were all relieved you and your wife survived this accident and hope your lives will return to normal as soon as possible. I’ve never met you but it sounds like you have a lot of personal contacts and friends that would love to see you and your wife attending shows again soon.  Your wife must be a special lady and I hope she can regain her obvious love of these old cars soon. 

Dave S 

I miss the shows, but I don't mind talking about old car safety. No heartache at all. Most of our problems are physical. I now have to hire people to do what I used to do myself. That's the biggest change.

Seat belts clearly save our lives. That's a message worth spreading. Some may be tired of hearing about it. They're the ones that need to scroll by the message.

Barry. I’ve found most physical problems just take time to heal or figure out how to work around them. I played football from the time I was in third grade thru college in the late 60’s. The era of playing hurt or sit on the bench. Concussions (thank goodness only one or two bad ones) cracked ribs, blown knees, dislocated shoulder and crushed disk in my back resulting in 17 operations for replacement parts in knees and shoulders and general repairs. I would do it all over again because I loved the game the teammates and the challenge. Now at 70+ in can be hard to do something’s on the cars and other needs of normal life. I do what I can and hire out the rest. Hang in there, time will help. 

I agree completely about seat belts. 

When I bought the Studebaker the first thing I did was put 3 point seat belts in it. Won’t drive a car without them. 

Get better, wish your wife well. 

Have fun

Dave S