Reaper1

Just got my first TC

UPDATE!

The car seems to be running fantastic! I took part in the Cruizin' to Colby event here locally which is a 2 day car event consisting of a "cruise" on the first day where they shut down the roads and the cars can actually cruise (there's a "no cruising" ordinance in our city, so..yeah) and a show the second.

The weather was FANTASTIC! mid/low 70's, slight breeze, sunny!

The absolute best thing was when I was talking with some people about the car and this older gentleman came up. I later found out that he was 86 and had a few strokes in his past. I don't remember how the conversation got to the point, but I eventually let him sit in the car and he was absolutely full of joy! He couldn't stop smiling! He told me it "made his day"...which made my day! It's hard for me to pay things back sometimes, but I will certainly try to pay it forward. I remember how people have let me have opportunities to have special experiences and such...it was SO cool to be part of that for somebody else!

In all the car got more attention than I anticipated and even invited to another show! I was surprised by that! I did find that I need to invest in a placard explaining the car, though.

• Like 1

Took the car to the MOPAR show at one of the local high schools...took 1st in class home with the TC!

• Like 1

Nice when we're driving more and wrenching less on them!  My white TC spit out the rear main seal (I think) several weeks ago so I swapped the battery to my Yellow TC that's been in the garage and not started for 2.5 years, fired it up and swapped cars/spots, now the white one will sit for years before I turn a wrench on it:rolleyes:  I've probably put 2K on it in two months(ODO no worky, bad gears) I'm enjoying driving  it too.  4200-6500 is amazing in this car, nothing I've been next too has stayed with me from 50-90MPHB) RT Chally, CTS Caddy, Coyote 'Stang and countless slower cars.

So...I FINALLY have an update to this actual project! LOL I was able to get my '90 Daytona shipped from Florida that had all of my spare TC interior parts in it. Yesterday I started the process of making the "black and tan" interior! I have 90% of the front of the cabin done. I have to swap a couple of more parts and actually fix the leather on the dash , but it's looking good. I am going to finish cleaning and installing the passenger's seat today and see about starting on the rear trim panels.

Now that I've started it, I will let the cat out of the bag. I've had an idea for my TC interior for some time. I love the Ginger color, but I felt that it really needed to be broken up a little. I also happen to really like the black interior and for whatever reason the black seems to hold up better over time, so finding good black interior parts is much easier than ginger. Taking all of this into account I figured that mixing the two colors would be a great way to be able to get some really nice parts in the car, but keep some of the original ginger.

Last year I acquired a '91 TC that had on 22,000 miles on it when it was totaled. The interior was mint and black. So, I'm using bits and pieces from that car.

I have changed things such as the door card inserts, seats, lower dash carpet and door sills/kick panels, arm rest, dash inserts, spare tire door, and binnacle to black. Everything else is still ginger.

I am in search of a good '89, black, non-airbag TC steering wheel. If a person wants to trade instead of outright sell, I have a ginger non-airbag wheel I'd trade for. It needs to be recovered.

You are going to have a problem with the black 1989 steering wheel since there were no black interiors and exteriors in 1989.

1 hour ago, Garnet & Gold said:

You are going to have a problem with the black 1989 steering wheel since there were no black interiors and exteriors in 1989.

DOH! How the crap did I forget that!? LOL Well...guess I'm going to attempt to recover one!

AJ, I'll get some pictures up here a little later. :)

I've seen pics somewhere of a ginger interior with some Bordeaux interior pieces where you are wanting the black, seemed slightly 'off' to my eyes. Maybe the black/tan would look better.

Alrighty. I still have to fix the dash and add those trim parts, and I an going to swap to a black binnacle, but I started running out of time, plus I have to rip the dash out anyway for some of my more extensive modifications. 

20170724_194504.jpg

20170724_194525.jpg

20170724_194656.jpg

20170724_194742.jpg

20170724_194829.jpg

I really like the doors!  And the 16V motorB)  Even though you didn't show us the manifold and turbo:P

AJ, I'll post some here in a little while.

I wanted to take her for a drive on Saturday, but I had the hood up because I was charging the battery. When I started the car I caught a glimpse of fuel dripping from the return line. The clamp really wasn't loose, but a little turn stopped it. I decided I didn't trust it, so I shut her down and got new fuel line.

I also finished replacing the literature pockets and such around the rear interior panels with the corresponding black parts. That really tied everything together and makes it looks nice. I'd love to do something about the center rear panel, but that's going to require a little more work than I have skills/equipment for at the moment.

In all the "Black and Tan" interior turned out very nice. It gives a good contrast to the inside of the car and I think I was able to pull it off close to what the factory probably would have done, which was my end goal.

Now to prep the HVAC box and get ready to swap in the digital climate controls and dash!

Alrighty, AJ. As reqiested, here's pictures of the turbo and manifold. I'm not actually going to use this manifold it doesn't look like. There's too much modification needed to make it work with the head and turbo. If I had an EVO X turbo, then that would be a different story, but that's a slightly smaller turbo than the one I have. It's a 16g from an EVO VIII MR.

20170808_184510.jpg

20170808_184606.jpg

20170808_184745.jpg

Did you see the turbo Neon/SRT4 manifold that JohnL put on his Ramerati build?  It took some small mods and the Neon parts are cheap plus it moved the turbo to a better spot for access/service.   All things considered tho, I'm a big fan of the stock exhaust manifold (it's actually more of a header tho right??) with some porting and 'collector' mods...

Yes, I did see John L's project. I think it's awesome there's another option!

I like the stock manifold, too, but as we all know the collector is trash (smaller than T25!).

I've got to weigh some options here, actually. I was doing some mock-up the other day and while at first I wasn't too off-put by the way the turbine housing would end up clocked, now I'm rethinking that. Dunno where I'm at now! LOL I'm back thinking maybe I'm better off getting an EVO X turbo.

The real challenge to me is the fact that my power goal isn't really that high, so turbo choice is kind of a pain, especially since I'm not going for all out power...I want it to drive well.

Got an unpleasant surprise when I got to work this morning...somehow within the time I put the top down 15 minutes prior and drove to work and then went to put the top back up something either punctures or cut a small hole in my top! >:( It's smaller than a dime, so it can be fixed, but man...come on, really!?

Ive had the staples in the bonnet strips (there is a word for those cross pieces but I cant think of it) wok their way loose and  start to rub thru from the inside out. 

You can feel the proud staple thru the top when its a culprit.

• Like 1

I am going to redye my bordeaux steering wheel. the web page is:

http://www.leatherique.com/steering-wheels.html

I made me think that there might be a possibility for a black 89 steering wheel option.  it will take a little work but, you could redye the ginger leather black.

Leatherique has an number of articles on redyeing leather.  Going to a darker color is easier than going to a lighter color.

A Dairyland SDAC member redyed his ginger steering wheel recently. The pictures are below. I think it looks nice.

Before

No automatic alt text available.

After

No automatic alt text available.

Thank you, AJ. I will check it out.

Larry, thank you for the pictures. That did come out nice! I have a spare wheel that needs to be recovered, so I'm thinking I might actually go through the effort of putting new leather on it. I have been meaning to get some Leatherique, but I haven't gotten it yet.

After some thinking I decided that I wasn't going to just bolt a bigger turbo to the 16V engine without having the head gone through. The car showed around 135,00 miles on the clock, so knowing what I do about the 16V heads, it became a fight with myself of "do it now, or do it later". I decided now is a better time.

I got the head off, and man it was a shame to pop it off of that engine. It was sealed SO well! I joked around, but if I were in a jam I bet I could reuse the headgasket.

Found some interesting things when I took it apart. I don't have a "good" way to check valve run-out besides either rolling them on a flat surface or putting them in a drill, but none of mine showed anything I would raise an eyebrow at (and I'm picky). I also noted that the VIN on this head is stamped wrong, or at least I am 99.99% sure it is. The car the engine came out of was 1237, but the head is stamped 1437! The VIN registry doesn't have 1437 accounted for yet. I'm going to check the transmission when I get home to see if I can find the stamp on that. The other typo apparently is common to all 16V cars, but the "R" in the VIN is stamped as a "P".

Oh, I see I didn't update about the HVAC box! So, I converted the HVAC box out of the 16V car to be an electronically controlled box. I had the actual electronic box, but I wanted to prove the conversion could be done. 15 minutes with a Dremel and a drill and it was converted! :D Now I have to finish the mods to the electronic dash and binnacle. I have to figure out how to get the dash buttons to line up with where the binnacle has the warning lights as the buttons are recessed back about 1/4". My challenge is that the ribbon cable isn't very long to be able to get it to fit well.

Well, it's been a while. I had a few family things happen that caused things to have to be on hold for a minute.

I decided the other day I needed to try to make *some* progress, so I made a list of things that needed to be done and picked something small and easy to try and complete. I only had a little left to do to figure out how to finish the installation of the digital dash, so I decided to do that.

The issue I was running into is that the position of the function buttons for the digital dash aren't in the correct location for the TC due to the way the bezel is made. So, I had to modify the plastic of the bezel, modify the wood grain, and extend the wires for the buttons. I wanted to be able to easily service the buttons, etc., so I needed to make it so the could unplug. I decided to use heavy duty R/C servo extension harnesses. There's 7 wires, but those harnesses only have 3 wires each, so I still have to do a single connection for the ground, but that's not a big deal.

So, I'm hoping that I can get the wires extended and possibly the buttons mounted to the bezel this week. I have to clean the garage to get the car in it so I can work on it, but the intent is to start working on the interior once it's inside. I'll be ready to do all of the interior work at that point, so I will be installing the pedals, shifter, cables, and center console when putting it back together. I'm also planning on a new stereo and re-doing the sound deadening. I've got to research that.

Other than that, she's been hibernating because the weather is utter crap out here right now!

I actually have accomplished a few things on the car. I did finish extending the wires for the digital dash buttons. I also cleaned up the garage some so I could get it in there. Last night I put it up on some dollies so now I can move it around a little easier. Still not as easy as I thought it would be, but I can at least move it. So, now I am going to start actually taking it apart! Let the madness begin!

Oh, I made my own hard-top cart, too! I was originally going to copy the OEM one I have, but aluminum is frigging expensive! So, I used PVC! It works well enough.

I figured that I would post a few pictures of the hard top stand and a shot of a 16V head I took that I have never seen done with this head before.

2017-12-05 18.08.30.jpg

2017-12-05 18.06.03.jpg

2017-10-15 12.49.05.jpg

Looks like a decent cart. Need to figure something out myself as I have no idea what to do with mine come summer, but I know it's coming off! At least I don't have to worry about scratching the paint since it's already ruined (pushing ice off the other day turned it from faded to scratches everywhere) I just hope my soft top is in good shape. Guy I bought it from said it looks like it's never been used but I'm not gonna mess with it to find out until it's warmer. Do the cloth tops dry out if not used or do they stay nice due to being tucked away?

Loving your progress updates so far! Can't wait until I can afford to do more with mine!

I have a 90 TC and had a similar thing said about mine. When I first put the top up I latched it down but it wouldn't close all the way... the top had shrunk. I finally had to weigh it down with my Mopar parts book and a steel plate that I had laying around. It took a good week in my heated garage to stretch it out enough to hook up and latch it above the windshield. The exterior of the top was fine but then I  noticed a black granular substance sifting out of the padding over the bows that I think was originally a black foam inside of the padding that has started to  disintegrate over the years. I continue to use the car but every time I put the top up I need to use the vacuum and clean up residue. Long story short it will depend on how the top was stored whether it was put away wet or allowed to  properly dry. Our cars are 20 odd years old and many things can happen from years in use and storage.