Reaper1

Just got my first TC

Well...I got a LOT done this weekend....BUT....not enough. :( I started to actually work on Saturday about noon (after I built a tool to take the crank snout timing pulley off). I didn't go to bed until 5am the next morning. Got up at 10...worked until 9pm last night. The engine STILL isn't together! I just can't leave things be.

So. Good news. The main bearings all came in perfect clearances. The rod bearings...well....they are +.0004" outside of Masi spec, but WELL within Chrysler spec, so...not going to worry about it! (for better or worse). I blueprinted the oil pump, opened up the oil supply hole in the block, opened up the oil strainer screen, replaced the front main seal, took the water pump off to clean it and install a new pump. I also finished painting the new K-frame and a few more brackets. I then straightened and filed the rails on the oil pan, knocked some dents out of it, sanded and painted that. I put the adjustable cam gears on it, and reinstalled the valve cover with a new gasket! (I never did find a torque spec on the valve cover nuts in either of my TC manuals!?...105inlb is what I went with) I think I actually got more done than that, but I just can't remember it all. Time sort of just starts melting and everything mashes together after a certain point. I was well into that by 5am! LOL

Of course all that sounds like it should only take a little bit of time instead of all weekend, but consider that I'm cleaning and removing corrosion from every part, and repairing/painting/etc as needed....these things take time. More time that I anticipated by 5-fold at least. My rule has been, and will continue to be, don't take the car apart until I'm ready to do the swap 100%. At this point, I'm not sure if it's going to get done before I have to leave for SDAC. That's OK, though because it runs and drives fine the way it is. I just need to charge the A/C. If I have to drive it stock to SDAC, then I will. I'm going to continue plugging along, though.

So I made the executive decision earlier this week that I'm going to drive the car to SDAC in stock form. I'm just being too picky about the way I want to put things back together to meet the time frame and I don't want to just slap it together just to have to take it back apart to do it again. Plus, I won't have the added stress of the "what if something I did messes up?" question rolling through my head.

I did get a couple more things done (installed the oil pump, painted another bracket, put the water pump together with a new pump).

So anyway, my plan is to leave either the 22nd or 23rd from Everett, Wa for SDAC26 and take the north route through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, then Memphis! About 2400 miles 1-way!

I searched a bit on here regarding towing with a TC, but only came up with 1 thread (no real answers). I have a friend who has a hitch he took off of his Spirit he's willing to let me borrow, so I'm going to see if that fits. If so, I'm going to tow a small trailer as well! I know some people might have a problem with that, but I know that others tow with our turbo cars/vans all the time with no issues. I'm going to install my oil cooler (because I firmly believe that all turbo engines should have one) and possibly install a known good radiator since the car did want to run a little warm going over the pass a couple of weeks ago. I'm hoping for good top-down weather on the way to and from. They are calling for decent weather while we are there, so here's to hoping that stays true!

I did get the correct power steering pressure hose...finally! So, I'll be able to at least get that fixed!

Wish me luck!

Chris have you upgraded the rear springs yet?  If you put 100lbs in the trunk it's gonna bottom over every dip for 4800 miles.  If you have some Shelby Daytona or IROC rear springs kicking around, theyre perfect for TC's with 5/8's of a coil cut off.  No more bottoming after that..

20160126_111536.jpg

23 hours ago, Reaper1 said:

I searched a bit on here regarding towing with a TC, but only came up with 1 thread (no real answers). I have a friend who has a hitch he took off of his Spirit he's willing to let me borrow, so I'm going to see if that fits. If so, I'm going to tow a small trailer as well! I know some people might have a problem with that, but I know that others tow with our turbo cars/vans all the time with no issues. I'm going to install my oil cooler (because I firmly believe that all turbo engines should have one) and possibly install a known good radiator since the car did want to run a little warm going over the pass a couple of weeks ago. I'm hoping for good top-down weather on the way to and from. They are calling for decent weather while we are there, so here's to hoping that stays true!

Wish me luck!

I use to tow all the time with my 1985 Plymouth Voyager. With a 3.0L v6 under the hood. I have towed cars as far as from North Carolina to California.  You should have no problems towing a small trailer.MVC-010S.JPG

ALRIGHTY!!! Update time! Finally!

Whew...what a trip! This is a LONG post. I'm including details about how the car did, stories about the trip, some things I learned...so...yeah.

BTW, I did get 1st place in the J(no...scratch that)Q-body class! LOL I was also awarded the "long haul" award for my travels. Johnny Spiva from Polybushings actually had a longer overall trip, but he CHOSE to drive down to Arizona to pick up a friend for SDAC, so his extra 300 miles were not counted. Mine was the longest direct trip.

AJ, no, I have all stock suspension right now. I will say this, I WAS considering swapping springs to Spirit R/T springs, but after this trip, I'm not convinced that's the right move. Nearly 5000 miles and the car did EXACTLY what it was designed to...eat up the highway like it was nothing! What a ride! Even the seats were amazing! My back only started hurting ONCE on the entire trip....coming into Memphis. Even with sleeping in the car! Simply amazing!

So, here's how the trip went:

#1: I drove too much! LOL I did the trip to and from Everett, Wa to east Memphis in 2.5 days! To give an idea, I left Memphis about 8:15am their time on a Wednesday, I pulled into my driveway 10:30pm PST Friday night! It's roughly 2400 miles one way and I stopped at Custer's Last Stand on the way there, and Devil's Tower on the way back (I have pictures!).

I slept in the car all but 1 night. The first night I stopped in Butte, Montana. There was only 1 hotel with rooms available and it cost me almost $100 for less than 8 hours of sleep and I woke up too late for the free breakfast! From then on...sleep in the car. Not easy to do in a 2-seat convertible. I ended up with the top up and the driver's main window about half down...my pillow balled up against that and my head about halfway out LOL. It worked.

There was a point on the way home where I realized I was having a conversation with a cloud that was changing shape and dancing. Yeah...that wasn't real...time to pull over and take a break!

#2: I did not end up towing a trailer. The hitch from an A-body Spirit WILL fit a TC, BUT, you have to modify the rear bumper cover mounts on the frame rails because they are in the way of where it has to bolt to the frame. There aren't holes in the frame in that location on the TC, so either you have to drill or weld on some extension to meet up with the actual frame hole. I suggest drilling, honestly. Not exactly the best, but using some paint and anti-corrosion spray, it would be fine. I did not end up installing the hitch because I simply ran out of time. I will probably install one at some point, but it's not a priority now.

I DID have the car loaded pretty well, however. My tools, jack, 2 jackstands, canopy, and some "just in case" stuff were all in the trunk, which was FULL!. My duffle bag with my cloths and such went on the parcel shelf behind the seats, and food/drink/CD's were all in the passenger floor/seat.

With all of that in the car, it was sagging a little in the rear...about 1.5". My rear tires do show signs of rubbing on the inner fender lip, but I never heard it and I never felt the car bottom out completely. The car handled MUCH better than I anticipated, which is part of the reason I'm backing off of swapping springs. I ended up driving through the Ozark area (BEAUTIFUL drive!) and it has some very nice 50mph sweeping turns...not enough to push any car, really, but enough that it's enjoyable and the car just loved it! It's not a sports car, nor a cone crusher (autocross), it's a GT convertible and it does that job PERFECTLY!

#3: I couldn't do the speed limit across the great plains and such! The speed limit out there is 80mph. I'm driving a TII/3-speed TC that was geared for when the national speed limit was either 55mph or MAYBE 60mph. 3-speed auto, non lock-up converter, stock gear ratio...yeah, not good fro cruising at 80! LOL What I found was that it puts the engine at about 3500rpm and that is right where it wants to be in boost....all...the...time! So, I ended up driving by my tach more than anything and trying to keep the engine around 32-3400rpm...out of boost. That equates to ~72-74mph.

Now, I did the trip 90% of the way there and back with the top down! I got lucky with weather and only hit rain twice and I simply got cold one time while I was driving at night in Montana.

Even with the top down and the engine revving like crazy, the car averaged 22.5mpg over the entire trip! I had 1 tank where I did get 26mpg, that was when I was only able to drive no faster than 60mph. I also had a tank where I got a whopping 18mpg! LOL That's when I figured out the whole engine in boost thing.

#4: I only had 1 "major" mechanical "failure"....the BRAND NEW power steering pressure line I installed started leaking at the lower crimp swage about half way on the way home. It lasted less than 5000 miles! ARGH! I didn't fully loose power steering (not even now, actually), but it's leaking pretty bad. I'm going to have a local industrial hose place make me one...maybe with about 1" extra flex hose to it, I think that's part of the problem...that's it's not really long enough and it puts strain on that connection.

I had to use 1/2 quart of oil that presumably was burnt or lost out of some small leaks (turbo drain back is one). I did gap the plugs down to .027" while I was in Memphis because the car started to miss more than typical. I was actually able to use Warren Hall's scan tool to look at the codes, etc. and found that there's some funky crap going on with the signals to the computer. My rpm is all over the place, the knock sensor is active at idle and pulling 31* out of #2...at idle! WTF!? I also saw my TPS signal being kinda funky, too...so I think there's a ground issue someplace. I also saw that it's throwing a SDS code...hence why my cruise control doesn't work. Dunno what's up with that because the speedo and the odo work perfectly! (knocks on wood). I did experience something I've never had happen before....the top of the charcoal canister basically blew off! LOL AJ is the one that found it. All the parts were still there, but we decided to plug the vacuum source and just let it be. I'll either truly fix it when I do the 16V swap, or I'll make it look good, but it'll be a "dummy". I also swapped HEP's, but that had no effect. I still have the WOT bucking issue, but not as bad.

#5: I learned that if you have a high performance car that requires high octane fuel to survive...yeah, don't drive across the great plains. Tow it! Fortunately my car is currently 100% stock, so I got away with it. However, the one fuel stop in South Dakota...you have a choice between "gasoline, diesel, and off-road diesel"! LOL 2 other stations I had my choice of "regular 87 with Ethanol, E85 87, and 'SUPER 87' with no Ethanol"! LMAO I used the non-Ethanol in it because our cars were never designed to run that crap anyway.

BTW, top tip from the gas station in South Dakota (HUGE thanks to Corby, the guy running that station...story below): don't go ANYWHERE without at LEAST 1/2 tank of gas! Seriously, fill up as often as possible!

#6: Before I left I installed my oil cooler. It's the largest B&M true oil cooler available. I had to remake the lines for it before I left because the original ones that came in a kit were dry rotting and I just didn't trust them. They had been on 3 different cars, too! LOL So, I made some -10 AN braided stainless lines for it and Russell fittings. The guy at the hotrod shop I got the stuff at gave me a tip with these that I'll pass on since it seems to really help. When screwing the sleeve onto the hose, use anti-seize on the internal threads of the fitting. The fitting is aluminum and the stainless braid of the hose will gall the crap out of it, so the anti-seize keeps that from happening. Those hoses when together like butter! I've NEVER made AN lines in my life....and now I wonder why! LOL

I also installed my Turbos-Unleashed aluminum radiator in the car. This radiator perfectly replicates the shape and features of the stock brass TII unit, but it's MUCH lighter and it does seem to reject the heat better. I only had to drill 2 holes in the provided brackets for the rubber isolation mounts and the screws/bolts (I think I lost the hardware bag) for those rubber isolators to push down on. Once painted black, I actually had to point it out, as it blends in with the stock engine bay seamlessly. I am using my modified '90 3.0 V6 fan on it. To me, that is the best fan to get because it retains the double-bullet style connector on a pigtail, it's much slimmer than the TII fan, and it moves a LOT of air! You simply have to trim the plastic shroud to fit around the outlets and the petcock. You can even use the stock bolting points. Because that shroud doesn't incorporate the overflow bottle like the later versions, it looks nicer, too IMHO. With the combination of the oil cooler, the radiator, and the fan, the car never got above just over halfway on the temp gage. Before it was normal for it to be running in the 3/4 range! The original radiator is plugged a bit at the bottom, so that explains some of the cooling issues.

OK, story time!

The first day took FOREVER! I90 is under construction the ENTIRE way across the country! As I hit the Montana state line, I also hit a WALL of bugs! HOLY CRAP! They were caked onto the front of the car by the time I got to Memphis, and the second night at the hotel when we washed the car...the smell of "dead" was nauseating! BLECH!

The second day, about 60 miles from Billings  I think I see this red car in my review mirror and IMMEDIATLY recognize it....because only new Hellcat owners leave the little yellow guards on the splitter. Sure enough, this red Hellcat Challenger goes around me and is just flat GONE in very little time. I was able to give them the "thumbs up" as they went by. So, I get to Custer's last stand and I'm about the leave when I walk over to my car and there's this Hellcat parked exactly next to my car! HOLY CRAP! OK....I gotta wait to talk to this person. Come to find out it was a retired looking couple driving from L.A. to Illinois or Indiana...something like that. They just happen to be on the same route as me. Well, once we left I never saw them again. Not that I really expected to. I did spot another Hellcat Challenger (purple) on my trip home going the opposite direction.

My route after stopping at Custer's place took me into nowhere land! I had to turn off through a little town and I check my fuel there...looks good, just over 1/2 tank. I *should* be able to make the next major stop. Well....I hit the great plains....and the constant 20mph head wind that's out there! I look down and notice I've used far more fuel  than I had anticipated, so I start looking for gas. After passing through the next "town" (no...the town was the post office building), I start to get a little antsy. I find that there's a tiny gas station on this road, so 20 miles or so later I get there. This is where I had the "gasoline or diesel" experience. I walk in and I ask the guy how he's doing, to which his reply was, "Surviving. 'Bout the only thing you an do around here,"....yeah no lie! I asked what people did for gas around there..."us"....how about tractors..."us, or they have their own underground tanks". ARRGGHH!! So  apparently people only buy gas every few months around there because there is nothing....for 50 or so miles in every direction! Corby (the guy working in the gas station) says, "At least you have a pretty fuel efficient rig. Most people don't and figure that out the hard way. Word of advice, don't go anywhere without at least 1/2tank of gas". I heeded his warning and it saved me later on.

After that things were quiet until I got to Kansas City! OMG! THAT experience woke me right up! I have driven in some NASTY traffic, D.C, Orlando, Seattle, Baltimore, NYC....NONE of it compared to THAT chaos! All of their highways are in a gird, and it seemed like they were ALL under construction at the same time! WTF is it with this country and horrible infrastructure planning!? Anyway, I'm surrounded by some people going the speed limit, some people wanting to go 900mph, and some people who don't even realize they are alive. LOL This one lady was on her cell phone...FIRMLY planted against the left side of her face, going 25mph in the fast lane! Meanwhile, Mr. Bro-dude in his lifted Jeep with no doors, big tires wants to go MUCH faster than everyone else....to the point people are moving over in their lanes so he can lane split between them! He ends up behind Ms. Cellphone and the madness ensues. If she had hit her brakes hard enough, he would have rode up on her car....he was THAT close. Of course her conversation MUST have been far more important than driving and being aware of her surroundings because at lest that didn't happen. I FINALLY get around this woman....give her a piece of my mind and move on. Made me wish I had a broken ceramic from a spark plug to throw at her window. That would have woken her up! (in case you don't know...that will instantaneously SHATTER a tempered glass window.)

I spent most of my life in Florida, so heat and humidity...yeah. I know about that. Or so I thought. I get about 1 hour outside of Memphis and hit this wall of heat. Now, during this trip I have experienced where the temperature drops as the sun goes down. This was about 8pm, so I figure that it'll start cooling off. No. It got HOTTER! Even my friends from Florida were saying it was bad. That first night it felt like a fat man was sitting on my chest, the air was so heavy. The ENTIRE time it was that hot. I took 3 showers one day. It was hotter than the backside of Satan's nutsack! 

Memphis...my impressions of that city is...don't go. It's BAD. REALLY bad. I've never been to a place that has "POLICE" cameras with flashing blue lights mounted to buildings all over the place. Outside of the city is beautiful, though. The BBQ is FANSTASTIC! I did not got to Graceland or any of the other touristy places...too expensive.

The trip home was nice as well. On the way to SDAC driving through the Ozark I spotted a Shelby CSX-T in a guy's front yard in the weeds. On the way home I actually stopped and talked with the guy and documented the car. It is CSX-T #18. All of the Shelby specific parts are still on the car. It got hit hard on the driver's side door. The guy bought it at an auction in 1988 and it's been sitting ever since. He used to fix up Shadows, but never got to that one. The interior looks to be salvageable (thought they weren't anything special), but it does have evidence of rodents and there's a curious hole in the windshield on the passenger's side that looks like it was burned. The man did say he'd sell the car, but he wants to break even on it, so who knows what he paid at auction in '88 for a wrecked rental car (CSX-T's were rental cars through Thrifty for those that don't know). He didn't give me contact info because they don't typically answer their phone or listen to messages. Basically, if you want this car, you're going to have to drive there and knock on the door. I can tell you where it is if you're interested. The man knows what the car is and why it's special, so he might be thinking he's got a gold mine. He doesn't really, but due to the parts that are still on the car...I'd say if you gave $1500 you did good.

I almost ran into a nasty thunderstorm dropping hail and such outside of Kansas City, but was lucky enough to be able to drive around it. I did go AROUND Kansas City on the way back. MUCH better! LOL

I stopped at Devil's Tower on the way home. I wanted to try and do both Rushmore and that, but Rushmore is off the beaten path a good ways and there's no good way to get from one to the other. The trip gets interesting now! Leaving Devil's Tower is when I had the "middle of BFE nowhere" experience. There's not even telegraph poles in the ground! THAT'S when you know that you are in the middle of nowhere! LOL Not even humans enough around to put a telegraph pole in the ground! LMAO Anyways, this is getting to be dark and I know there's animals...deer...LOTS of deer! So, I'm going LESS than the speed limit (55mph...I'm going slower)...good thing! This buck with a nice rack jumps out in front of me and I BARELY miss his hind quarter. I think he was running from something. Anyway, from then on, if I saw eyes, I was beeping the horn! Good thing the TC air horn sounds cool! ;) So I'm driving along and all of a sudden here comes this guy pulling a horse trailer and he wants to go around me. OK. So I slow down to let him around me and a deer umps in front of BOTH of us while he's passing me! I knew I was about to die! Luckily we both miss the deer and each other. So I get to the end of the road and I see across from me the exact fuel station I stopped at where I learned my lesson about 1/2 tanks of gas! I look down and I have...exactly 1/2 tank of gas! LOL So Mr. Corby's warning goes through my head...I pull into said gas station...at 9:15pm....they close at...9pm. DOH! Well, I figured I was spending the night in a gas station parking lot. I get all settled in, and here comes a truck that pulls in. A person comes out and I hear something about gas! I'm INSTANTLY awake! I run in and ask if I could get some gas, too. This is where my profuse thanking for Corby comes in. It was WELL after their closing time that he turned the pumps on to allow me to get fuel. I owe that guy!

So my next goal was to get back to I90, get to the first rest stop and sleep because I was TIRED!. I never got to a rest stop...so I pulled off onto one of the many Ranch Access Only exits, back into a place that can't be seen from the highway and proceed to try and sleep. Well, AFTER I got out of the car and took a good gander at the sky! WOW! I've never seen the sky like that except in a planetarium. Simply amazing! Anyway, back to trying to sleep. So I'm almost out and here comes a car with 3 drunk girls knocking on my window saying, "don't look, we have to pee". No problem there...I'm way too tired to even give a crap! After a semi does a driver's change, another driver's change, and a pee stop for other vehicles I FINALLY get some sleep! In the middle of nowhere and I cant get away from people. Isn't that the way!? Geeze. I wake up to a rancher driving by me, so I get out of the car and realize I must have missed the party...gunshot holes in the signs, empty beer bottles all over. Obviously this was a popular spot to stop. I jump back on the road...5 miles down the highway...there's the rest stop I was looking for! LMAO

Nothing more exciting until I got to the other side of Yellowstone. I actually want to say it was on the west side of the mountains just past Sturgis that there was a pretty big fire that they were using helicopters and such to dump water. Also, when I crossed the gorge between Idaho and Washington they were fighting a brush fire in the hills and that wind was blowing!

Rush hour through Spokane was interesting. Had a "left lane vigilante" try to prevent people from going the speed limit. I'm sure that the guy in the truck behind him I think they pulled off and actually had a physical fight. I'm fairly sure he followed the vigilante dude off of an exit he had no intentions of taking. Would have been fun to watch, but I had to get home.

Once I got back to Seattle I actually got a little scared of the traffic. I think the combination of being on the road for so long, not being surrounded by crazy drivers, and just being exhausted all contributed, but it seemed more nuts than normal. I pulled into my driveway at exactly10:30pm! I had even texted my wife and told her I'd be home between 10-10:30...Can't be more accurate than that!

The next plans for the car...get the 16V swap done, get the new dash into it, and I have an idea for the interior that I think many will like.

I actually have something else to share! I FINALLY received the exhaust manifold I ordered.

Here's the deal: I wanted to put a larger turbo on the Masi engine. I'd like to be able to have something like 300-350whp. The turbo I chose is the Mitsubishi 16g found on the EVO 8MR (it has a larger exhaust housing). I needed a way to mount it as of course it won't just bolt up. I also wanted to keep the split-scroll feature of this turbo to aid in response time, so that was going to require something custom right off. I started looking into different engines and found that the Mitsubishi 4B11T engine in the new EVO X has the same bore spacing as our engines! That means that the ports should either line up perfectly or be REALLY close. So, I found a cast stainless steel exhaust manifold for that car and ordered it.

So, here's the good news! It DOES line up! As a matter of fact, the 4 outer bolts holes on the flange actually line up perfectly with the Masi! The ports are a little different in shape, but nothing a little port matching can't take car of. I have to figure out how I'm going to mount it to the engine, and where it exactly places the turbo, but for those building a Masi 16v engine wanting to run something a little different, I highly suggest looking into EVO X manifolds and headers!

OK, update on the exhaust manifold. I didn't realize that the flange for the EVO X was rotated 90* from the EVO VIII and the bolt pattern is different as well. So, I am still going to have to build or buy an adapter for that. As far as the manifold bolting to the head, I'm going to try and drill the holes and see if I can get it to bolt up. I think that with the correct fasteners this will work fine. Only one way to find out!

I figured I'd give a small update. I've been a slacker of the biggest degree and haven't done much of anything recently. Just haven't had the "drive"...

Anyway, I got tired of listening to my stereo sounding like a perpetually flatulent elephant, so I decided to try and swap the speakers out with ones from my parts car. Well, out of the 4 speakers I pulled, only 1 sounded "ok". After some position swapping of some of the speakers, I got it to sound a *little* better, but it still is begging for a new stereo install.

Now, maybe someone here with some better knowledge of the Infinity stereos can help explain why this thing sounds the way it does. My car does not have the original Infinity head unit. Instead it has a later Chrysler Infinity unit with the integrated CD/tape player. I like that. However, it seems like it totally overdrives the bass, no matter what. I don't know if the output is higher to the speaker amps on this head unit or what, but even with the bass all the way down it distorts something HORRIBLE!

Oh well...eventually that whole mess isn't going to be used at all as I am going to install a much better stereo.

the amps in the speakers often degrade and eventually fail due to multiple electronic reasons. but what you're describing is the amplifiers housed on the speakers cannot produce a clean power output for the speaker, so it prematurely clips the sound wave and ends up becoming closer to a square wave than a clean sine wave. So since the speaker reproduces that, whola, audible garbage.

Not only that, but you can visually see the speaker just totally being overdriven for the intended volume level. It's clipping AND distorting!! BLECH!!!

I gave the TC a break for about a week or so...drove the truck because I hadn't driven it in months! I went to put my passenger side window down as I intended to put the soft top down, but...it stopped about half way! Uh oh....it went back up fine.

After thinking about it, I thought maybe it got hung up on the wiring in the door. So, I popped the panel off and thought I fixed it...good thing I left the panel off! LOL It turned out to be the speaker I had installed! The outer splash guard was turned 180*...then after putting it back together and trying again, I found out that the whole speaker had been in 180*! The stupid amp gets in the way of the crescent gear on the window drive.

I decided this was a good time to look and see if my aftermarket speaker would actually fit because I know the magnet is large-ish. It fits...but there's not a lot of room.

So, lesson learned here...if you go to install speakers in your doors, roll the windows down so you can make sure they clear everything!

Update time!

I haven't worked on this TC for a bit, but I did work on *a* TC (which is now officially dead).

While in Florida for the Grassroots Motorsports 2016 Challenge, I decided it would be a good opportunity to strip the '91 parts TC I got. It only had around 22,000 miles on it, but it was hit VERY hard in the rear. So hard that when my friend cut the trunk off with a sawzawll in a straight line, he actually cut throught the bumper support shock on the right side because it was 4" further in the chassis than the left side! We later found that it also broke the rear of the hard top (it was on the car when it got hit), but absolutely NO cabin intrusion! Both doors opened and shut just fine (thought the gap on the right side was quite a bit smaller and the door window overlapped the quarter window when rolled up).

So, being as the car was "new", I decided that the engine was a good donor for my 350,000+ mile '90 Daytona, plus I had to yank that anyway because the clutch wasn't operating for some reason. So, the TC's 3.0 got a 5-speed swap and dumped into my Daytona. After swapping the fuel rail and injectors (3.0's can run on only 2 cylinders BTW!) it purrs like a kitten! For the first time since 2002 my Daytona moves under its own power!

Because the hard top was on the parts TC and how "new" the car was...I was REALLY hoping the soft top was in great shape. After we cut the side of the car, cut the bracket off for the tonneau cover and the bracket for the pull down (after removing the pull down) there was FINALLY enough room to get the top out. Luckily the only damage was to the very front of the headliner....other than that it is perfect!

At some point in the past a tree had fallen on the front of the car smashing the windshield on top of the steering wheel. So, to get the dash out we just cut the A-pillars at the dash line and laid it forward like a Jeep! LOL

We backfed the electrical system to move the seats and windows. The driver's seat didn't want to move forward, so I had to take it off the base, then take the base out of the car. BTW, they fit perfectly in a Daytona! (of course they should due to the TC's "bloodline").

The rest came apart pretty much without incident.

I was able to stuff everything except the spare tire shelf/well (didn't need/want it) from the TC into the Daytona....proving that yes, you can shove one car into another! LOL There's even another windshield frame with good glass from a '90 J-body, the soft top, spare parts for the Daytona, and all the other crap including a very nice hood mat and the carpet from the TC in that Daytona....and yes, there's room for a fairly tall person to get in and drive it!

Once we got done stripping the TC it was pretty obvious where the TC chassis was shortened from a G-body...just behind the seat belt attachment point the floorpan is noticeably shorter. Ironically, it looks like if you got rid of the spare tire hold-down mount that it might be possible to adapt J-body convertible seats to the rear as I recognized the oval holes used by that car's lower rear seat cushion. Not that there would actually be any room for passengers, but just interesting.

So, once my life get back to a "normalized" state I am going to get the Daytona (along with the contents) shipped out to me and I can then utilize these parts to really make my TC pop! :D (and I'm going to turbo that 3.0 in my Daytona....like I've been wanting to do for 16 years!)

Because of the situation at the house, the landlord wasn't happy about the results of my car hobby, I am being forced to do clean up in the garage and whatnot.

That being the case, I now have "motivation" to finish stripping and getting rid of the 16V chassis I have. I took the kick strip off the passenger's side yesterday and there were nice holes in the rocker underneath. The metal was so eaten up that I could deform it with finger pressure. Plus it seems all the sound deadening absorbed water and just ate the floor up. It's not "Flinstone" level, but it's not good, either.

Anyway, I took the trunk lid off, stripped the passenger door and took that off (underside has rust...will evaluate whether to keep it), too the passenger seat out. took the hard top off (not easy by yourself, and don't try with a car you care about...it basically fell off and scratched the crap out of the car in doing so), got the soft top out (man, those things are heavy too!!), and basically finished stripping the interior. I have a few more parts to go, and then the sawzall come out to play!! All I can say is...wow...those parts are ALL heavy!

Thanks! LMK what ginger part you are looking for as the 16V car I stripped was also ginger interior and I have all of it pulled. It was a not pristine, though...just a fair warning.

As of right now, I know I need enough to cover either a double or triple gauge pod. I might need more than that later, but that's the only thing on my current "why haven't I got that done?" list

I see. You are after material more than specific parts. I think I can help you if you let me know how much you need.

• Like 1

Every Ginger interior TC I've found in yards I have taken the seatback panels out of, no matter how rough the interior is they are always in good shape. Perfect for a custom gauge cluster.  Just two Phillips head screws pulls them outB)

• Like 1

Been a while since my last update. I had a bunch of crap go on in my personal life that put car stuff on hold, and to a point still kind of is.

Last time I checked in I was still trying to figure a way to adapt the EVO X exhaust manifold to the Masi head and the EVO 8 turbo. I haven't gotten any further with this, but I've been giving the turbo some thought and I might just try to find an EVO X turbo because at least it will bolt right up and is either very colse to the same or actually slightly better than the EVO 8 turbo anyway.

In order to attempt the adaption, I am going to attempt to drill and clearance the flange myself as I was quoted $400 in machine shop labor to make the holes! I understand why, but it's certainly more than I anticipated.

As for the car itself, I had to move it into the garage and I've just been cleaning/detailing it. The cleaner it it, the more I like it! LOL I am looking forward to car show season as the car will at least be ready for that!

Well, it's been a while since I've updated this. The car has been "hibernating" in the garage and I've driven it a few times this year, but this past weekend was *supposed* to be it's first trip of the year to Eastern Washington. Well...the car decided it didn't want to go. :( I got about 30 miles from home and it started making a nasty noise that was engine speed dependent.

So, earlier in the day I had done the oil change and while I was there I found the 2 lower transmission bellhousing bolts were loose! WTF? So...I looked everything over, didn't see an obvious problem, tightened them up and went about my day. Washing, waxing, detailing....packed the bags and off we went...until we didn't. I didn't take tools because the car had been reliable! Of course.

After getting towed home (tow truck driver actually knew what the car was! I was impressed!) the next day I got it up in the air to take a look. I pulled the lower inspection cover tin off and sure enough, it's beat all to hell and bent. There's no obvious damage in the bellhousing and none of the torque converter bolts were loose (I was thinking that was a possibility). I didn't see any cracks on the flex plate, either. So, I cleaned everything up, got the tin back into shape (mostly) and put it back together. No noise! SWEET! ...or so I thought. I test drove it and in about almost exactly another 30 miles it started making the same exact noise! I drove it home this time.

I am going to take the airbox and all out of the way this afternoon and check it out. I think it possibly broke the flexplate. If that's what happened, I'm just going to start getting all my crap together for the engine swap and get it converted to 16V like I have been wanting anyway.

A *small* update on the conversion. I haven't messed with the manifolds or anything recently, but I'm thinking that for the amount of effort and time I'm going to have to put in to modify that EVO manifold, and then make an adapter to fit the turbo, I might as well just make a custom manifold. I actually have the equipment to do it. So, I'm not thinking I'm just going to go that route.

All right....I'm stumped. First time in a while.

I took the airbox out, took the upper timing belt cover off, took the distributor cap off and set the thing to TDC. The timing mark lines up like it should! The only "problem" is the timing belt is WAY loose riding the outside of the pulley and slightly frayed. I'm amazed it didn't skip teeth! I have to get to that, but it's not a priority.

Anyway, ok, so the mark lines up, but that doesn't mean anything. I start it up, shoot the timing...*perfect*. Free revving the engine with the lower tin on makes no noise. Putting the transmission in gear and loading the torque converter with the lower tin on...NOISE!.

OK, take the tin back out. I find it's all beat to absolute crap and the rear tine is broken off! I have no idea where that piece of metal went...no sign of it anywhere. I re-inspect the torque converter bolts and the flexplate. I *still* don't see any obvious issue. So, I put the lower 2 bellhousing bolts back in without the tin, start the car. Free rev = no noise. In gear (no tin) = no noise!

I am going to test drive it tomorrow with no tin and see what happens. While not impossible, I find it highly unlikely that the tin was the original cause of the problem. There *HAS* to be an underlying problem (at least that's what my brain keeps telling me). There's *1* possibility I stumbled across when taking the airbox out. The line feeding the BOV in the airbox has a fuel injection clamp on it. That clamp was missing both the square nut and the bolt that make the clamp work. My timing window was missing the foam guard (almost NO Turbo-Mopar I've *ever* worked on has it, but they came with them). It's a *very* slim possibility that the clamp came apart and the bits found their way down into the bellhousing while the engine was running. The problem I have with this theory is that the bellhousing itself really doesn't look like anything bounced around inside and nothing fell out when I took the tin off. So...if it did get in there...where'd it go!?

Anyway...I'll keep working on it! Any ideas from the group are welcome on this one. It's not often I get stumped, but this one got me. :(

How did you determine that its NOT the flexplate?  I don't have much experience with auto trans Chryslers(only had a few) but I've heard a cracked plate can be an intermittent noise?

Truthfully, in order to *actually* inspect it, I *should* drop the tranny. I'm lazy and don't have help to get the thing back in right now, so the following inspection is what I have been able to accomplish:

Set engine to TDC using timing marks on timing belt side and the distributor, then check to see if the timing mark lines up in the timing window on the tranny side. A buddy of mine a long time ago had a flexplate break in his van and besides the noise, that's how we diagnosed it. I also have the lower tin (inspection cover) off and have spun the engine over by hand looking very close with a flashlight to try and see. An option I might try next is a friend of mine has an endoscope, so I might put by alignment pins in the top of the tranny, unbolt the thing and slide it off of the engine and shove the scope up there to inspect. Don't have to drop the tranny out that way. I also had the engine running without the inspection tin on and looking at the flexplate as it's spinning...didn't notice any issues that way either.

Yesterday I worked on it some more, but I decided to try and tackle the timing belt and the power steering. When I popped the upper timing belt cover off I noticed the belt was riding on the very outside of the pulley and had been worn into! DOH! Not good. At first I was going to be a cheap ass and not replace it, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that, even though this engine is temporary (still wanting to do the 16V swap). So, I replaced the belt...yeah big story there! LOL

The power steering...yeah...that's got me a little stumped right now, too! Last year I replaced the pressure hose because it was leaking, or so I thought. Everything was good until I was halfway home from my long trip to Memphis and it started leaking again! I was pretty mad because it *looked* like the hose was bad...in the same spot! Well, after cleaning all the fluid off of everything and driving it a short distance, I could see the leak was NOT the hose, but coming from somewhere higher up...like near the pump. So, I pulled the pump out yesterday. The only thing I found was that the gasket that goes between the hose and the pump (metal o-ring with a rubber insert) was chewed up a little and it looked like it was trying to seal against paint...no good. So, I cleaned all of that up, replaced that gasket and the o-ring that seals the reservoir...now I guess we'll see if it leaks this afternoon! 

OK...So, I honestly can't say I *know* I fixed it, but I test drove it last night after getting it back together. It made a noise once, sounded like it spit something metallic out (which I never saw) and has been running great since! I even drove it to work!

I'm fairly sure the cam timing was at least 2 teeth off because of the way the car drove before versus the way it drives now. Before the car was very "point and shoot" and actually had a good bit of low end for a 2.2...BUT as some may remember, it absolutely would not got WOT unless I backed off the gas a little. I always thought it was an electronic issue that I hadn't solved yet. Well, after setting the cam timing the correct way (and yes, re-checking my ignition timing) the power delivery is much smoother and now I have WOT!!! Being a TII Masi, it isn't fast, but it gets up and goes! (I want to put a side note in here that *I* did not set the cam timing, etc initially...the previous owner had done all that and I never checked it because it ran well enough...I only reset the ignition timing.)

I also am pleased that thus far I haven't seen any power steering fluid leaking, too!

It bugs me that I still didn't truly diagnose what happened to it, but as long as it's working OK and safe...I'm good with that! LOL