Diamond Back Tires

roadmaster37

Put a set of diamond back radial wide whites on my 59 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud 1. I'm having a problem with the hubcaps rotating and bending the valve stems. They are full hubcaps. Just had a flat from the valve stem bending to far and cracking. Anyone have any simular problems or solutions? Thanks Doug   402-699-7442

I had this problem on mid-'60s Chryslers.  The rh front wheel cover would rotate in the wheel, the only one that did that.  Chrysler put travel-limiter tabs on the wheels and the wheel covers, which just limited the movement and not the fact they would rotate.

I ended up taking the valve stem extensions off of the valve stems, then installing the wheel covers with the valve stem hole AWAY from the SHORT valve stems we used back then. 

It did this with the OEM Goodyear Super Power Cushion bias ply tires, then with BFG Silvertown Belteds, and ONLY on the lh front wheel location.

Trying to use steel valve stems (bolt-in) could damage the wheel cover if they are desired to stop the rotation.  The wheel cover might become dis-installed if it tries to turn and cant.

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Some have had success  keeping the wheel covers from rotating and damaging the valve stems by using small amounts of silicone adhesive where the covers attach to the wheels. A few dabs around the wheel should do it. This still allows for the covers to be removed and it is easy enough to reapply adhesive when reinstalling the covers. Worth a try.

(o{}o)