ID Make & Year?

Ralph Wiley

The photo was taken in January 1946, but I think the car is much older than that year.

Maybe a Dodge or Plymouth? Searching the Web for photos, it looks as if the last year both produced squarish sedans was 1934. Starting in 1935, the bodies got a lot rounder.

There is little about the car that's distinctive and helps with an ID. The overall shape of the grill is similar to a 1934 Plymouth's, but in that year Plymouths had the 3D ship atop the grill, and Dodges had the 3D ram. The car in the photo has neither.

I've done a lot of Web searching and am stumped.

Can anybody identify the make and year?

post-154069-0-69913500-1436764157_thumb.

Chevrolet....1935.

Not a Chevy expert but it might also be a '34. I think the master body style for one year became the standard body style for the next back then.

Agree it is definitely a Chevy though with that grill emblem and the characteristic rear window.

The '34 Master DA iterated into being the '35 Standard ED, with some subtle changes.  I believe the car to be '35.  Between the years something about the radiator shell changed, it's width, slope, or both.  The rear of the body also changed similarly, seemingly affecting the width and rear's slope there too. 

I am not a Chev expert but I have to disagree with what Dave Henderson says.  The 1935 Chev Standard is a continuation of the 1934 Standard. Both are on a 107" wheelbase although the '35 has the bigger engine used in the Master.  The '34 Masters all had 'knee action' front suspension and was on the 112" wheelbase.  The Master four door sedan can be easily picked out as it has a divided third side window.

As to the mystery car here I am not sure.  Pointers are things like painted headlight buckets which were 'standard' on the Standard in '35.  Re the front bumpers they both seem very similar.  Master front suspensions could be picked when they got tired and the wheels adopted an odd angle.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

NZ,  Thanks for pointing out,  I should have said Standard.  I too am not a
Chevy expert.
If what I believe is the left rear quarter window of the mystery car, there is something in it that could be a divider, which in that case would be a game changer, i.e. making it a '34 Master.
The Dubonnet knee action on the Master did provide an independent front suspension, but did they ever bounce when they were worn. 

Thanks for the replies.

Definitely a Chevy, but it doesn't seem possible to be certain about the year — either a '34 or a '35.

How about the Plymouth in the attached photo?

It was shot in Kansas in July 1940, but I think the car is either a '34 or '35.

post-154069-0-77244600-1436938573_thumb.

Pic looks like a 34 - 35 Chevrolet Standard 4 dr sedan. 

If it were a master it would have rear quarter windows that crank open.  I do not see that feature.  Someone mentioned the painted bars in the grill.  The alternating bars were painted black on the 34's.  The 34 Standard was introduced late in the year.  The body carried over in to the 35 model year.  The 34 Standard engine was unique to '34 Standard in many ways.  Different head, valve cover, water pump to name a few.  I believe the 35 Master and Standard used the same engine.  Yet a different transmission - differential.