ELECTRONIC IGNITION

LAS VEGAS DAVE

I'm thinking about putting an electronic ignition in my 38 Special. The points work just fine but I like to tinker. Is there someone on here that has done this and can tell me of any problems or if there was any improvement. I want to keep the stock coil so that nothing will look different in the engine compartment. Is this electronic ignition a good idea or a bad idea? 

Dave, you will find answers ALL over the place.  I installed it in my '50, and could not be happier. Pertronix does come in 6 volt. But remember it will need almost 6 full volts to fire. So a low battery condition is more serious than with points. Most of us who have changed are happy. [ My car has been changed to 12 volt]. The plug gap can be opened up to .035 / .040.  I would say go for it.

Ben

Thanks for the reply Ben, I talked to the Pertronix tech and I found out that there are some wires that come out of the distributor that go to the coil that enable a sharp eyed person to be able to tell that there is an electronic ignition in the distributor. I was hoping that by keeping the stock coil there would be no way to tell but he said that is not the case. Since I'm trying to keep the car original and it runs fine with the points I think I'll just leave it alone. Dave

Guest Barneys_Bud

I would not recommend it.  Simply because the electrical system on your Buick is not very clean.  By that I mean that between the Generator brushes and the points in the Regulator you generate a tremendous amount of electrical noise and transients.  These spikes can present a real problem to anything with solid state components in it.  Many have converted and have not had any problems however there are just as many that have had their ignition  suddenly die.  If you do make the conversion I would strongly recommend keeping the points and condenser handy.  

The short version is that Points will always get you home while the conversions may not.

I have made up my mind to keep the point set up. It works fine and its easy to keep it working fine. If I had a modified car with a 12 volt system I would go with the Pertronix. Since I just got this car I'm looking for stuff to do. Next hair brained idea is to find out if Lloyd Young still does the overdrive set up and if its possible to get the parts still.

Its a Borg Warner overdrive unit. They are still available on Ebay and many Model A guys put them on their cars. From what I understand they were once fairly common on the old cars. The torque tube and propeller shaft have to be modified and they also require some electrical switches. Its a lot of work to get the stuff out of the car and then the modifications begin. The upside is the car can go 60 with the motor spinning about the same rpm's as it now does at 42 mph.

Rod,

Lloyd E Young is out of Canal Winchester, OH. His phone number is 614-837-7832. I don't think he is on the internet, a search came up empty. His business is installing overdrive units on cars with solid enclosed drive shafts, aka torque tube drive shaft, like we have on our Buicks, also Model A Fords and many other makes. He uses Borg Warner R10 and R11 overdrive units.

I had him put one in my '28 Standard touring car and I love it. Best thing I ever did. It's a 30% reduction in rpm. I can cruse at 50-60 comfortably. Engine speed is 38 at 55 mph and 42 at 60 mph. Plus, I still have my regular first gear ratio to get moving or pull stumps or what have you. I'll bet your car would cruse at 75, easily. At 75mph your engine speed would be 52.5.

You have to remove the torque tube with the diff center section and ship it to him. I don't know his current prices but he was very reasonable when he did mine about ten years ago. Go for it, you will be so happy with your Buick. No regrets here, that's for sure.

Dave

We visited Lloyd and his wife as part of a VMCCA Nickel Tour out of Heath, OH (SE of Columbus) and their car collection / compound the third week of June this year.  Great people.  Not sure how many conversions Lloyd is doing, I got the impression he is semi retired and would like to train someone else to take over.  He said he has done over 1500 overdrive conversions on older cars.  Wonderful people who have been a very active part of the hobby for decades.   They have a 1918 Model 45 that is near perfect along with a couple dozen other amazing cars in carpeted out buildings.  Nice.