1936 Dodge Carburetor leak

I have a Stromberg EXV 2 carburetor which I understand was the original spec for export models .My Dodge was exported to Australia but is now in the UK. .As  it has been running rich (as identifed from my prevous forum question  I used a repair kit last week to give it clean and then re assembled it  but I cant get get the large brass screw plug at the base of the sump to seal. This was not a leaking  before I dismantled it . I have tried different washers but it still leaks when I fill the sump . Does anyone have any ideas to seal this screw .

On another issue the maintenance  manuel states that the Float level should be set at 5/64 inch . Can anyone expain how and where  you measure this .?

I will try and upload photos to show the screw and sump /float  in question

Thanks

Farrol

post-142289-0-96096600-1435267944_thumb.

post-142289-0-30336300-1435267983_thumb.

post-142289-0-64782200-1435268049_thumb.

post-142289-0-70777400-1435268075_thumb.

I'm pretty sure that the float setting is measured from the top edge of the bowl casting to the top of the float when the float is in the raised position. Did they not include a fuel level gauge in your repair kit? You might try a small amount of Permatex or other brand sealer in conjunction with the gasket on the plug; just be careful not to foul the ball check.

Jpage  -Thanks for your guidance -I have maanged to find something very similar to Permatex and will give it a go and then report back for others to see . I have also been told to try and sand /polish the flange down to a smoooth finnish where the washer connects with body of the carb  as sometimes hairline scratch can cause leaks - so something for next  weekend :)

Setting the fuel level (or float level) on Stromberg carburetors can be confusing, because there are actually TWO SETTINGS!

For the carburetor in question:

(1) INITIAL OR DRY SETTING (this will get you close) - with the fuel valve closed, measure 5/64th inch from the top of the toe of the float (end opposite hinge) to the top of the bowl casting.

(2) FINAL OR WET SETTING - with fuel in the bowl, and the fuel valve shutting off fuel in the fuel line pressurized by exactly 3 psi, measure 5/8 inch from the top of the bowl casting to the TOP OF THE FUEL IN THE BOWL.

Stromberg suggests a special bending tool for bending the float to obtain this final dimension.

I would suggest to NOT bend the float unless the correct setting cannot be obtained by the following adjustment. The fuel level may also be adjusted by changing the thickness of the washer (gasket) between the fuel valve seat and the bowl casting. Bending a 75-year-old brass float MIGHT work once or twice, but bending it back MIGHT cause the tang to crack (break).

We have replacement brass floats (not inexpensive) available for many early carburetors for those who disregard the above suggestion ;)

"If it ain't broke.........don't break it"!

NOTE THAT THE FINAL MEASUREMENT IS THE FUEL LEVEL, NOT THE FLOAT!

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

CarbKing - Thanks for detailed advice - can you guide me to where you state  "top of the toe of the float (end opposite hinge) to the top of the bowl casting". Where /where is the toe of the float?

Is it vissible in the photo I posted above ?

Thanks

Farrol