VIN# doesn't match title

Guest Blackpack

Guest Blackpack

I'm getting to be quite a celebrity on this forum. I have started two huge threads due to mechanical problems with the 48 Super I bought in February. Now that that car is repaired, I have a potentially bigger problem.

Due to the mechanical problems, I gave not been able to have my local Police Department inspect the car for the VIN number. I decided to do that today, but when I pulled title out that I received from the seller, the VIN# on the data plate on the passenger side firewall does not match the VIN# on the title. The title says VIN Certification Waived on it. I called the dealer who sold the car to the dealer I bought it from and he says that they used to use the number on the block instead of the data plate. Does this sound right? Has anyone else run into this? If I'm not able to title this car, I'm in hot water and out a bunch of money. Of course the inspection company I hired was also supposed to check that out.

Help please!!!

Some dealers like to use bonded titles. They pay a bonding fee and put whatever they want on  the title. My title has my engine # on it because he chose it instead of the vin. I think if the origin or title info is not readily available, they use the engine because it is not likely to be traced back if the car was stolen or imported without documentation. After 1 or 2 yrs, you have the option to renew bonding or let it ride. You would have to do a title search with the DOT using the vin to determine is there is a lien or stolen reported. Good luck.

• Like 1

Luckily the number and title match, but  it's a cautionary tale in the making to always, always perform your due diligence before, during and after the sale regarding what your state will accept for titling a purchase.

Glad your crapping bricks episode didn't last  long!

TG

• Like 1