Diagnostic Scanner

Looking for information on a reasonably priced diagnostic scanner/code reader primarily for use on my  07 Duramax which has a habit of refusing to re start at a truck stop or dying at idle in my driveway.  Thanks, Bob Smits

I think you will find a better response on a diesel site but I have an 06 Powerstroke and put a SCT tuner/ scanner in it.  Works great and lets me monitor everything with live gauges.  If I have a problem and it trips a code,  a couple screen taps and it gives me the code.  You can then clear it right their after you write it down.  Hopefully yours is popping a code.  Mine was around 500.00 on ebay.  They  make a cheaper one for 200-300 I think. Good luck.

Looking for information on a reasonably priced diagnostic scanner/code reader primarily for use on my  07 Duramax which has a habit of refusing to re start at a truck stop or dying at idle in my driveway.  Thanks, Bob Smits

. You didn't mention if there has actually been a code set. If not, there is no need for a scanner, as it won't help diagnose your problem. If a code did appear, go to your local auto parts chain and they'll check it for free.

I use a laptop and a program from Laplogger. I bought this particular brand because it was the cheapest, but there are lots of others. You will need a laptop computer, any kind, a suitable cable and a program.

By now I should think they would have the same deal for a tablet or smart phone. I got mine about 5 years ago and have only used it 3 or 4 times, but it was a mighty handy thing to have.