new tires, 2nd gen

rocky5517

Period correct you would want a 3 stripe whitewall. Only one option and that is Diamondback Classics can make them for you special in a 235 75R.

http://www.dbtires.com/2013_catalog/2013_DBTiresCatalog_Web_Hi.pdf

Scroll down to where it says Specialty Wall Designs. People at Diamondback are friendly and helpful.

I know two people who have these on 66 Rivs and I've seen them in person. Owners both love them and they are beautiful tires. I'll probably get these for the 66 when the time comes. Of course something so special doesn't come cheap. If you're budget conscious shop around locally and get a regular single whitewall around an inch wide for $100ea and don't worry about it. Size options are a 225-75, 235-70 or 235-75. They are all close enough to originals in size cross-over. I believe the 225-75 is closest to the original 8:45x15 but a 235-70 gets you a little wider tread pattern and just about the same height. The 235-75 is a little higher overall but in general looks good on the big Riv and functions well.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Sam,

I agree that the 225/75R15 is the closest to your original size.  225's were a factory option on the 1968 and 1969 Rivieras although not sure about the '67's.

You may wish to consider the Hankook Optimo H724 70K tire.  This is available as a 5/8" whitewall in the 225/75R15 size.  They cost about $75-$85 per tire. They are fairly widely available such as at some auto repair shops, Wal-Mart, Sears, Pep Boys and Discount Tires.  Hankook is generally considered to be a quality brand and has been recommended by others on this forum.  I have heard good comments about them and personally own a set.  You should be aware that they have a somewhat embossed look to the black portion of the sidewall that some may not like as well as a smooth side.  If you do a Google-type search on this you can see what I mean. 

It is also worth mentioning that the whitewalls available from some tire brands, as opposed to specialty tire manufactures such as Coker Tire, may not be available in the 225/75R15 size.  The closest many manufacturers come is 235/75.

Jim Vesely

ROA # 7437

BCA # 39477

Sam,

Suggest you check the DOT date code on the tire sidewalls .  As it is often age rather than wear-out that drives tire replacement on collector vehicles, it is best to start with as fresh a set of tires as possible.

Some have indicated 3-4 months is typical and have indicated an arbitrary cut-off of no older than 6 months.

Jim Vesely 

ROA # 7437

BCA # 39477