1949 Buick Super Tires

Guest davidc1966

Guest davidc1966

Good Evening all, have a few questions for you.  Getting ready to put tires on my 49 Super.  I am a bit torn on whether I should buy the Coker tires.   Was wondering what your experience has been with them.  Also, the car calls for 225/75/15 tires, but was wondering if I would get any benefit by going up a size bigger to 235/75/15?  Or would going with a 70 series tire be better?  Is there a tire out there that is better to go with from a size and/or brand standpoint?    Any information is greatly appreciated in helping me make my decision.  

The Coker 8.20 X 15's on my '60 Electra are one step oversize and the whitewalls are wider than original. They are the second set. The first set of the same were replaced after 10 years and about 12,000 miles of driving; about $90 per year year when you figure the cost.

My '64 Riviera got a new set of Coker 7.10 X 15's in narrow white way longer ago than I want to admit. I have hardly driven the car. They look great and perform well. I will probably replace them with the same.

My '48 Packard came with a two year old set of Coker H78 X 15 biased. They look good and the car drives very well on them. Somewhere in the early 2020's I will probably replace them with Coker Firestones. I think it is a 7.60 X 15 car.

Summitt Racing has the best pricing. The cost is lower and they provide free shipping on the orders over $100.

On the old cars the aspect ratio and the shoulder design mean the most to me. If they don't look right I notice every single time I walk up to the car. The cars I have were expensive new. The dealer had to ply $2500 out of someone's tight fist to sell that Packard. The biased tires performed just fine back then. Even on today's roads, as our national infrastructure sinks into third world status due to strict laws defining capital and maintenance funding, biased tires do just fine for me.

Now, can you guess who spent 5 hours on the New York State Thruway yesterday?

Bernie