Paint - Silver .vs. Aluminum

RoadsterRich

I have been all over trying to find silver engine enamel for the head of my 1930 Chrysler 77. It is a silverdome and was originally painted silver. Everyone has aluminum in engine enamel and high heat, finding silver appears near impossible. What type of points deduction if any is one likely to get for this deviation from the original color, and is anyone other than myself likely to notice the difference.<P>Rich

Rich, how are you?<P>My advise is contact Eastwood. They are a well known name to hobbyist and specialize in coatings, body repair products, etc.<P>Looking in their catalogue as I sit here, they have a Silver High Temp Coating they tout as "Brilliant matte silver sheen". (Reference Part #10175Z). They also have many other coatings.<P>Contact them at <A HREF="http://www.eastwoodcompany.com," TARGET=_blank>www.eastwoodcompany.com,</A> or, phone 1-800-345-1178.<P>Regards, Peter J. wink.gif" border="0

Never would have thought to call the local Mopar dealers, usually they just laugh at my requests...<P>Peter, been hectic here. I just got the head back from the machine shop, can't wait to get it painted and back on the car! Interesting, I called Eastwood not 3 hours ago and they told me they did not sell a silver engine enamel or high heat paint (I don't have their catalog obviously).<P>I will check out the local Chrysler dealer tomorrow, failing that Eastwood.<P>On an interesting side note I went to the local Finish Masters today and they told me they did not carry engine enamel except in a few stock colors, and that no one mixed the high temperature paints to order anymore. Having had a frustrating week looking for silver, my girlfriend (who lives about 50 miles south of me) called her local Finish Masters, who said, sure we can mix high temp enamels for any color come on in. I knew if I posted here I would get answers, I just didn't expect some of them to come from other sources!<P>Rich

Rich, that's weird. I'm looking at Page 9 of Eastwood's "Late Spring 2002" and it is shown.<P>Of course the goal here is to help you find a source. <P>Regards, Peter J.

Guest Randy Berger

Getting two (or three) different replies from the same vendor or company is significant. The people you are talking to are not competent. Regardless in what area you need answers you will have to deal with a general incompetence (IRS, newspaper, machine shop, Kmart etc.) When you do find a competent person to deal with, STICK with them and don't quibble about paying a few extra dollars. Competent people are in short supply! frown.gif" border="0 <BR>That's why these forums are so good - practical experience. grin.gif" border="0

A follow up...<P>Called Chrysler, they sell all of about 8 engine colors, listen to the names, they match everyone elses 'universal' colors. They sell an "Aluminum Silver" for use on all silverdome engines from 1940 on. From the salespersons take on things they make a limited number of colors for the 'older' stuff and you pick whatever is closest to what you originally had.<P>Called Eastwood, spoke to another salesperson. His explanation was that I asked for Engine Enamel, not high temperature paint and said they do not sell silver Engine Enamel, only silver High Temperature paint.<P>As it stands, I am going to give Finish Masters a shot at mixing up the silver for me. They are semi-local, reasonably priced, and can deliver in 24 hours. If I don't like what I get I'll try Eastwood. <P>If I do like what I get from Finish Masters I'll be taking down a sample of the original engine color to see if they can mix me up a match to it. Despite a seemingly common view (supported by the WPCC) that all blocks of that vintage were black, everything I have found in the way of paint and information from 'old timers' is that my engine was painted a sort of 'bluish-grey-green' color, much lighter than the 'dirty-oil-green' used by other vendors of the era. Yet another issue that may result in interesting Judging discussion once the car is done...<P>Rich

• 3 months later...

Rich,

I bought the Eastwood High Temperature Silver at Carlisle and have used it to paint my '40 Packard exhaust, tailpipe and muffler. It is reformulated from what they sold previously. It has a bright silver color, sprays very smoothly, and when dry has a bright sheen. It requires temperature to fully cure. I found it to be an excellent product. Don't know if the color is a match to your Chrysler application. My guess on the judging is that if the painting of the head is well done, that you would not have points deducted for the color match. It would be good to hear from some of the judges on this however. At a Chrysler meet it might make a difference.

jnp

1963 and '64 Buicks used Silver paint...a bright shiny silver...I have nothing but high regards for this vendor (below), the catalog prices:

ITEM Part # Price

Qt can EP-614 $30.25

12 oz spray EP-614S $8.50

I use their phone number= 1-908-369-3666 (ask for "Tony"...nice guy)

www.oldbuickparts.com

Hope I'm not insulting you by suggesting Buick paint! Good Luck, Steve