1956 engine/transmission dip stick and fill tube

Beemon

I'm coming along with my project and its nearing time to put the transmission back in the car, followed shortly by the engine. The only problem is is that I can't seem to find either dipstick, or the transmission fill tube. There is a junkyard about an hour out that I plan on seeing on Monday, my day off, but I'm expecting to be out of luck. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction towards some other known Buick graveyards or suppliers that may have these parts.

Thanks in advance guys, your help thus far has been phenomenal.

Buyer beware and know what you're buying. I seriously doubt that many owners, junk yards, or vendors know the differences.

You might want to study up to make sure that the Dynaflow dip stick and the Dynaflow fill tube are a matched pair. There were differences between the earlier and later Dynaflows. Also, earlier Buick V-8 322-c.i. engine oil dip sticks were shorter than the later ones.....the shorter ones not showing any oil even if you had half the recommended amount of oil in the pan.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A little status update: I stopped in at that salvage yard I was talking about. They had a bunch of 55's-57 and one 56. As luck would have it, the Dynaflow and Nailhead were still in it so I scored a 56 Dynaflow fill tube and dip stick. The difference between 55 and 56 was significant, so I'm glad I got lucky. However, the engine dip wasn't in the block and was just thrown on top. How do I know for certain this is the correct dip stick?

.....How do I know for certain this is the correct dip stick?.....

If you can post a picture and an overall dimension, I can send you a PM with all the details. Include your email address also. Thanks.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Sorry for the late reply, been busy with school and work, but making progress slowly but surely! Here are those pics for the engine dip stick:

11295859_10153834856580830_7087421883707

11265035_10153834856640830_4069772746859

Thanks in advance guys, your help is always greatly appreciated!