36 chrysler

otto

Otto, no one has responded to keep from being petty or mean but Airstreams did not have Overdrive (first introduced in 1948's Standard Vangaurd Saloon, the modern Overdrive was itroduced in 1967). There is NO engine w/overdrive that can be installed in your car that will not ruin the value of the car and cost many thousand dollars to make function, With no gaurantee of the reliability you would want at Highway speeds. Also, just asking which incorrect modern engine to put in an original car is a bit like telling "Yo' Mama" jokes. Some of us taka it more personally than we should but it does upset us a great deal.

There are SO many issues to achieve what you are asking for. What about brakes, suspension and steering. Are you going to trust these items that were dedsigned to go 45 to go 80? I sure wouldn't - There's another 10K in work. Do you intend to ever sell this car? Do you want it worth less than half of it's value due to the incorrect engine? Why not just sell the car and buy something that does what you want, like a Honda Accord. I keep one in the driveway for just that reason. It goes fast and does it comfortably and my original cars remain original cars.I would never dig a hole with a saw, that's a shovels job. Good Luck with whatever you do.

Chrysler did offer an overdrive in 1936 in the Airstream.  It's in their factory brochures and I have seen several for sale over the years.   If you get an OD transmission from a 1936 Airstream I believe you need the rear end as well because the emergency brake hardware is on that and not the transmission.

Otto, no one has responded to keep from being petty or mean but Airstreams did not have Overdrive (first introduced in 1948's Standard Vangaurd Saloon, the modern Overdrive was itroduced in 1967). There is NO engine w/overdrive that can be installed in your car that will not ruin the value of the car and cost many thousand dollars to make function, With no gaurantee of the reliability you would want at Highway speeds. Also, just asking which incorrect modern engine to put in an original car is a bit like telling "Yo' Mama" jokes. Some of us taka it more personally than we should but it does upset us a great deal.

There are SO many issues to achieve what you are asking for. What about brakes, suspension and steering. Are you going to trust these items that were dedsigned to go 45 to go 80? I sure wouldn't - There's another 10K in work. Do you intend to ever sell this car? Do you want it worth less than half of it's value due to the incorrect engine? Why not just sell the car and buy something that does what you want, like a Honda Accord. I keep one in the driveway for just that reason. It goes fast and does it comfortably and my original cars remain original cars.I would never dig a hole with a saw, that's a shovels job. Good Luck with whatever you do.

The new format does not show this as a quote. I DID NOT SAY THE ABOVE   !!!!

Some things never change. I would not take this rant very seriously

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)