Anyone running a electric fan in a 1st gen?

alini

Im debating about doing an electric fan on the 65, I cleaned up alot of the engine bay and having that big shroud would just detract from the clean appearance. But apart from getting a radiator with an bung for a temp sensor or modifying the current temp sensor spot Im not sure the best way to attach the electrical side of the hook up. Inputs??

Since the heads are the same side to side, there is another temperature probe spot on the passengers head in the back (going from memory on which side). You could put the temperature sensor for the fan there.

One thing to think about is that the temperature at the rear of the engine is not as hot as the temperature at the front nearest the thermostat. Taking a reading from the rear of the driver's side will be accurate for the temperature at that point but the temperature at the front will be hotter. Say that your temp is reading 180 at the rear, it could be 210 at the front. (probably not that much of a difference but just as an example.) You'd want your fan to come on sooner than that. See what the aftermarket has available to get a reading at the thermostat.

Ed

I also questioned taking out my fan & fan shroud to clean up the engine compartment. The little bit of info that I have found so far is that running electric fans are not as efficient as our fan/shroud combos. Apparently, it's a not a good idea if u plan on driving your car regularly.

I may just stick to the set-up I have & call it good

David

Good idea. As long as your radiator and block are clean, and your thermostat, water pump, and fan clutch are in good working condition, you should have no problems. Remember these cars were daily drivers 50 years ago and no one had problems with them then.

Ed