RV SALES QUESTION?

smithbrother

In my travels I have driven past lots of RV sales/service centers, and see ROWS, and ROWS and ROWS of RV's, and trailers.

I don't seem to see many folks out in the lots looking at such, or for that matter cars in front of the sales office, so my question is:

Are these units SELLING, or are they on a FLOOR PLAN agreements, or WHAT am I missing.

The investments these centers have in all the equipment has to be HUGE, and couple this to the fact that I don't see that many on the roads makes me wonder, is the RV business in trouble?

I hope not, but sure looks strange. so comments are welcome, I need to be educated.... We owned a 38' Barth a few years ago, and it was a different story, loved the Barth, but was able to unload just B4 fuel prices went wild.

Dale in Indy

The main RV place here in Central Kentucky is so busy they've been turning down repair/maintenance work because they are prepping so many sold units. Makes it hard when a client of mine is trying to get theirs fixed.

I agree it looks like they don't move, but the sales business is fantastic right now, at least for that dealer.

Guest AlCapone

In Canada thr lots are full and prices have bottomed out. At $5 dollars a gallon for gas you can stay in motels cheaper when you consider insurance repairs and maintence. I have not seen a new dealer start up in over five years but I see lots closing down and used vehicles are everywhere !

Wayne

I drive mine on a regular basis in the summer months.

I doubt that I would ever be able to sell it for what it is worth.

On the up side, it has a Caterpillar diesel in it and I doubt I would ever rack up miles like a commercial rig would. So it will probably out live me.

It tows my 26 ft enclosed trailer like its not even there.

I doubt that I would ever be able to sell it for what it is worth.

Worth can have several meanings. You have market value, utility value, and personal value. I think motor homes offer great investments used for their utility value but that's about it. If you don't get a "really good deal" you probably paid higher than market. I'd love an older motor home with a good car trailer. I don't have the time to utilize it right now, but it'd make the summer car season extra fun with less time spent repairing and cleaning the old car.

Worth can have several meanings. You have market value, utility value, and personal value. I think motor homes offer great investments used for their utility value but that's about it. If you don't get a "really good deal" you probably paid higher than market. I'd love an older motor home with a good car trailer. I don't have the time to utilize it right now, but it'd make the summer car season extra fun with less time spent repairing and cleaning the old car.

Sounds about right. Utility and personal value.

I got a good deal on it ten years ago when it was a year old and the seller took a huge loss. But it was still a lot of money.

I like having it around and is available any time I want to use it.

For many the true value in owning a RV is not having to lay you head on a pillow containing DNA from 50 previous users not to mention the national epidemic of bed bugs. Here in College Station we keep several extermination businesses busy doing nothing but treating bed bug infestations. If you think it is not a problem ask you pest control people. When I was shopping for my first Motor Home 35 years ago a dealer told me that if you are concerned about gas milage you probably shouldn't buy one. I would like to be able to tow to my next show/tour for 50 cents a mile. When you add all the costs using a diesel pick up and trailer cost over $1 per mile. Towing that same trailer with a Motor Home probable adds lass than 0.25 a mile and is so convenient. (Like not having to kennel the pets) Just my thoughts. Bob Smits