34 plymouth pe

rageracing

On the '33 PD all the hard lines are 1/4". I think that would be true for '34 too. In the 1934 parts book manual is a an overview diagram of the brake system which shows the general shape and location of all the lines and hoses. My copy is a bad photocopy which probably won't scan, but I think you can get either an original or reprint from one of the literature vendors.

Having a factory service manual and the parts book for your car would be a very good thing. By the way, 1934 is the first year for a Plymouth factory service manual.

'34 PE brake lines are all 1/4". I have some photos of the original installation that I will pull up and shoot your way with some cuts from the '34 Plym service manual. Brake lines were 'T'd' off the front of the master cylinder and then run inside the frame rail a short way and then outside of the frame rails via the blister-type hole in the outside frame rail. The line is clipped to the outside of the rail and then re-enters the inside of the frame rail by the front mount for the rear spring, through a similar blister hole in the outside frame rail. It then runs through the inside of the frame back to the rear cross-member, where it drops down to the rear end via a hose. There is a steel strap bracket attached to the rear cross-member that serves as an attachment point for the hose. On the front, the line runs through the inside of the frame rail and exits up by the steering box where it goes into the brass T mounted on the inside of the frame angle brace running from the side rail to the front cross-member. From there, one line runs back into the inside of the frame (between the angle brace and the driver side frame rail), where it ties into the inside of the brass hose bracket that protrudes through the outside frame rail and provides the connection point for the driver side front brake hose. Going back to the T, the other line runs along the inside edge of the front cross member (attached with two clips) and over to the brass hose bracket for the passenger side hose, a mirror image of the driver side.

OK, I have to remember my brain is getting old... . All of the above is correct except the front brake line when it comes off of the master cylinder does NOT go inside the frame rail, it just snakes through the engine compartment directly to the T mounted on the driver side angle brace, coming into the center hole. The front hole goes to the passenger side and the rear hole on the T goes to the driver side, as described above. All of the rest of the above is correct. Attached are some photos from the original installation on my 34 DRXX coupe, which is identical to the 34 PE, at least according to the parts book and according to the 3 34PEs I have owned. The photos show the engine compartment routing, the front T on the frame angle brace, the run down the outside of the driver side frame rail (looking forward) and the bracket at the rear cross-member where the hose to the rear end attaches. The illustrations are from the 34 Plymouth Maintenance Manual. Hope all of this helps.

post-89602-143143009788_thumb.jpg

post-89602-143143009665_thumb.jpg

post-89602-143143009691_thumb.jpg

post-89602-143143009714_thumb.jpg

post-89602-14314300974_thumb.jpg

post-89602-143143009764_thumb.jpg

I have never seen any protection used on the brake line going through these two formed holes. Quarter inch line is pretty stiff so if you locate the line in the center of the hole, it probably won't move. On the gas line on the passenger side (which is also run down the outside of the frame rail--not a good idea if you ask me) spring wrap is used to protect the line up by where it might be hit by stones thrown up by the front tires. I suppose that could be used on the couple of inches of brake line that runs through the frame or use my usual favorite, a short piece of gas or vacuum hose, slipped over the line and positioned right in the hole.