1969 Riviera rear bumper needed

austingta

Believe it or not the guys from that TV show, DVAP, Desert Valley Auto Parts, answered my e-mail about bumpers. I found some close by so I didn't proceed,but what they proposed sounded not so bad. They seemed to say they would either find a good one for me, or take a core and have it re-chromed. They said their chrome guy did things the right way but not to expect a Concours like finished product.

Anybody got a driver quality or better bumper? I'm in Austin, TX

Frank Brooks

ROA 10634

The 68 bumper will fit the 69 but keep in mind that the back up lights are located in the lower bumper on a 68 instead of up in the tail light housing on a 69. It can be done easily enough though. Hemmings Motor News shows several sources that are parting out all generations of Riviera's. You may want to pick up the latest issue.

I looked at CTC Auto Ranch's website and they have a couple of 69's. There are pictures that show the rear bumper on each of the two cars I looked at.

I 'mailed' a '65 bumper and it wasn't too bad. The post office took in without a box. I wrapped some bubble wrap around it as sent it off. The only reason they told me that I needed to wrap it was because of the rough edges.

I've never used them but there's a few guys over on the Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange forum who use Fastenal (the nut and bolt company) to deliver packages. Apparently they have trucks running all over the country and there's always room for something in their trailers. If you've got a store / warehouse / distribution center close to you, it's not that expensive.

Here's some comments on that service that I found posted on the Jalopy Journal's H.A.M.B. If you're not familiar with the H.A.M.B, it's the Hokey Ass Message Board. :) Check out BoogerRacers post (#11) for the down and dirty.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/fastenal-offers-reasonable-nationwide-parts-shipping-hauling-transport-large-small.779173/

Ed

The 68 bumper will fit the 69 but keep in mind that the back up lights are located in the lower bumper on a 68 instead of up in the tail light housing on a 69. It can be done easily enough though. Hemmings Motor News shows several sources that are parting out all generations of Riviera's. You may want to pick up the latest issue.

I totally forgot about that Pat - one of the major differences between kissing cousins !