1910 Buick Model 19 question...

Guest DAVE BOLEY

Guest DAVE BOLEY

I have some old pictures of cars that belong to my grandparents. One picture that I had turned out to be a 1910 model 19 Buick I was told. I was also told the image was reversed. That could have been my fault as I scanned the old pics from negatives. I scanned it so it appeared to be left hand drive. After being told the image was reversed I went to Google it and I found pictures of this model and some were right hand and some were left hand drive. Can anyone here shed some light on this issue? Was the car offered both ways? Any other general info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

Dave, right hand drive. I am guessing that some of the pictures you are seeing would be an optical illusion based upon the angle the photo could be shot or they reversed the negative too. Your grandparents car had to have been a right hand drive.

The AACA Library has a lot of information on Buicks along with the Buick Heritage Collection that resides here if you really want more info and copies of materials.

Guest DAVE BOLEY

Thanks Steve...

I just dug out the negative I scanned. According to the emulsion side being as it is I have to agree but check this picture out. The image is clearly not reversed because if it was the sign in front of the car would be backwards as would be the Buick script in the radiator. This is why I'm questioning the possibility of there being an option for either side drive.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1910+buick+model+19&biw=1243&bih=575&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=D5DJVML7CqzksATHw4CYDA&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QsAQ#imgdii=_&imgrc=JeWJyurWnDLbyM%253A%3BmVtCfvwaOEceeM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimages.conceptcarz.com%252Fimgxra%252FBuick%252F10-Buick-Model-19-DV_12-RMA_01.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.conceptcarz.com%252Fvehicle%252Fz16834%252FBuick-Model-19.aspx%3B1024%3B680

Guest DAVE BOLEY

Dwight,

Sorry about the mistake, I don't know how I managed to do that. Maybe it's my dyslexia, (not kidding), or just old age. I have tried four times to upload the old picture I have but it won't work. Maybe I haven't been a member log enough to have that privilege???

Dave

Guest DAVE BOLEY

Dwight,

So far I'm not impressed with their photo uploading feature here. I tried four times and it just locked up and did nothing.

The picture I just posted a link to was scanned from one of hundreds of negatives I have that were handed down to me from my mother over 30 years ago. Most of the prints were missing and I had no way short of spending piles of money to really get to see them until I bought a really great scanner that does film, negatives and prints. The two people in the Buick are my maternal grandparents. They were born in 1889 and 1891. I was mainly trying to find the type and year of the car. A friend who is on this site told me it was a 1910 model 19 Buick. Looking through the pictures I have learned that they seemed to have had many different cars. One of the most impressive was a 1926 Auburn. I'm just trying to learn more about their early life by dating the cars to get an idea of approximately when the pictures were taken. My grandfather died in 1929 which was 16 years before I was born and

I never knew a lot about him. All the people who would know something are long since departed.

I discovered I had scanned the original correctly but flipped it because I thought I had it reversed when scanned. After reading the replies here I corrected it.

Dave

Edited by DAVE BOLEY (see edit history)

The tank on the running board is a Presto-Lite tank, it contained the gas for running the headlights, which used a flame and mirror for light. The side lights and tail lights were kerosene, and if you look closely you can see the fonts at the bottom, they contained the liquid kerosene and had wicks which burned it....

Right hand drive for a 1910 Buick is of course correct.....a lot of cars started moving to left hand drive around 1913-14, which is why you'll see that configuration when you search.