Stovebolt Chevy rebuild advice

Guest rvsmith5

Guest rvsmith5

I started a rebuild project with my son today. I have a 33 chevy stovebolt on the engine stand. I plan to rebuild it and eventually stick it back in my 33 Chevy Standard. I want to update everything on the engine to 12v and a modern carb. I am wondering if I can just remove the starterator completely, and if there are any other things that simply will not be needed when using newer parts and technology.

I'd appreciate any help or other comments you have to offer.

Bob

post-105423-143142910621_thumb.jpg

post-105423-143142910617_thumb.jpg

Bob, just curious as to why you feel the need to convert your 33 to 12 volts? Having driven a bone stock 6 volt 1936 Dodge through thousands of miles in NY state winters as an everyday car for three years and never having that car fail to start I get annoyed when people butcher a car because someone convinces them they will be more reliable if all 6 volt items are changed. How do you think your car got to be 81 years old if the system was so unreliable? There is nothing wrong with that system as long as everything is rebuilt to factory specs and wiring and grounds and bearings and bushings are as new.

Howard Dennis

Guest Oldengineer

I own a 48 Chevy Fleetmaster with her original 216 engine under the hood. Your Chevy engine is going to be a little trickier to rebuild because of the splash lube oiling system these engines use. You're got to get her dippers and nozzles back in correctly, or. her rod bearings won't last long. I'm also running my car's original 6 volt system as well - have had no problems with it.

Regards:

Oldengineer

Bob, just curious as to why you feel the need to convert your 33 to 12 volts? Having driven a bone stock 6 volt 1936 Dodge through thousands of miles in NY state winters as an everyday car for three years and never having that car fail to start I get annoyed when people butcher a car because someone convinces them they will be more reliable if all 6 volt items are changed. How do you think your car got to be 81 years old if the system was so unreliable? There is nothing wrong with that system as long as everything is rebuilt to factory specs and wiring and grounds and bearings and bushings are as new.

Howard Dennis

I agree on why trying to change to 12 volt. Usually adds more challenges than just fixing everything back to 6 volts. If it is a current radio that you want, purchase an inverter to step up the voltage for the radio to 12 volts. Just IMO also.

Guest rvsmith5

I want to go to 12 because eventually I want to turn the 33 into more of a hot rod. This engine is just to get it on the road and get some enjoyment out of it. Most everything on the car is gone, so figured it was the time to do the swap rather than replace things twice. It will get a modern wiring harness and many other modern components eventually.