57 brake light issues

aziz

Has anyone had a issue with the brake lights working intermittently ????

I have put on new slave cylinders and rebuilt the master cylinder and the brakes now work really good but have had a brake light issue ...

I have replaced the hydraulic switch and connector as it was cracked but still have this intermittent problem with the lights !!!!!!!

Cheers

Matt

Edited by aziz (see edit history)

Hi Bob ,

thanks for the response and I remember reading that it could be that on a earlier thread ... so I removed the switch and pulled it apart to see that all the lubricant had gone hard from lack off use for the last 15 years !!! I gave all the contacts a good clean and with some fresh lube put it all back together after checking it with multi meter but still have the problem !!!!

Matt

Arrrgh! Check the fuse in the fuse block. I'm not sure but thinking a bad flasher mite be the culpert. Next is to keep the brakes applied with a stick when they are inop and follow the volts front to back. BTW, if you don't a shop manual with the schematic you're shooting in the dark..........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Hi Bob ,

I have removed the flasher unit from the car as it is in the exhaust shop for a new set of mufflers and pipes .... Is their any way off testing the flasher unit while it is out of the car as the exhaust shop is not open over the weekend !!!!

I did also check the fuse and that looks fine !!! I have been using the workshop manual and it looks like the only other thing left to check if its NOT the flasher unit is the connector thru the fire wall !!!!!

Cheers

Matt

Flashers are cheap and even available at the national chain stores next to all of the Armor All products and Pacific rim tool choices.

I have switched all of my cars over to the solid state flashers. I don't have a part number, but my car had three prongs and I bought the one with three prongs. It's about $10-15, and seems to be less affected by generator voltage drops (doesn't slow down at traffic lights).

LIKE and thanks

Flashers are cheap and even available at the national chain stores next to all of the Armor All products and Pacific rim tool choices.

I have switched all of my cars over to the solid state flashers. I don't have a part number, but my car had three prongs and I bought the one with three prongs. It's about $10-15, and seems to be less affected by generator voltage drops (doesn't slow down at traffic lights).

As a bizzare twist, I have had a similar problem with intermittent brake lights and found out that it was the connector in the socket was vibrating loose. You might want to take the lenses off and pull the bulbs and reinstall. Sometimes those plastic pins on the harness bulb connector get brittle and break off, or if someone installs it in the wrong manner (they are keyed, so an untrained person can easily shear them off if they are not paying attention) they can be sheared off. After checking Bob and Mike's items and you still have the problem, you might want to check this as well. Good Luck!

Hi Mike and Jim ,

I'm off to the auto store this morning armed with the flasher unit :) I will also purchase new brake light switch again just to see if the last one was faulty as reading some other threads it looks like some people have gone thru 2-3 to find one that works properly.. I have checked all the bulbs in the rear tail light and they all look good but I must say that I have not checked the plastic pins on the harness bulb connectors !!!!

I will go thru it all over the next couple of days and let you guy know the results !!!!!!!

The starter motor packed up last night:mad: so that has been sent out to be rebuilt...

Cheers

Matt

OK after a day of checking ALL the connectors ;)I found that we had three problems ????

Fault #1 was the connector at the firewall was all dirty ,so after a clean the power went all the way to the signal switch:)

Fault #2 signal switch needed a minor adjustment to work properly :rolleyes:

Fault #3 The blue connectors(don't know if original) behind the taillight housings had become loose , so out with the trusty soldering iron and some heat shrink !!!!!

I also installed a new flasher unit just to be sure !!!

HEY PRESTO WE HAVE BRAKE LIGHTS:cool::cool:

Thanks to everyone for the help!!!

MATT