Rear Pass through

D-a-n-i-e-l

I just installed a latch in my pass through, because I thought the original was broken. The new one seems to be the same. The question I have is does the latch actually work or is it just for looks and the key opens and closes the pass through?

Nothing seemed out of place or broken, as I had the panel off to replace the carpeting at the same time.

The latch itself seemed to only operate about 1/4 as far as I thought it should. there is a littl lip that seems to be keeping it from operating but looks as if it was designed that way.

I think the handle/pull is just there to make it look like the other latches....... yes you must use the key to open and close. Must be some logic within GM for making it that way.

If you have trouble opening or locking the door, it is out of adjustment. Notice it has a pivoting hook on each side of the door and there is a post on each side that the hook must latch into. If the posts are out of adjustment, the hook will not engage correctly or smoothly, there should be no need to push on one side or the other to get it to latch or unlatch.

Barney is correct on this. The "handle" on the pass through latch is non-functional, the actual action of unlatching the door is done entirely by turning the key. The latch is there only for aesthetic purposes near as I can determine, although it does give you a point to pull forward on with a finger.

Regarding the pivot arms, as built there was a foam rubber donut applied around the two latch posts to act as impact absorbers and spacers to maintain a certain amount of standoff between the frame and the door.

All four of my cars are (or were) missing these two foam spacers due to apparent deterioration of the foam and/or adhesive overtime. I must assume this is a common problem. The lack of these spacers will cause the door to bear inward on the latch posts, thereby creating extra difficulting in getting the two latch arms to disengage when turning the key.

The solution is to install some type of rubber or foam rings about 1/4" thick around both posts to restore the original function. The quick and dirty "fix" is to pull out very slightly on the latch as you turn the key to the unlock position to relieve the binding that is making it difficult to disengage the arms from the posts.

Having had the pass through door apart before, there is no apparent adjustment in the pivot or arm mechanism to be made.

KDirk

I might add that those foam spacers also can "glue" the pass thru door to the frame which is why I suspect some POs removed them. When I returned my '89 to active duty and went to open the pass thru, I thought that the key/latch mechanism had failed as the door would not budge. I finally put a lever into the gap on one side and slowly started to apply pressure and finally the door let go. On investigating, the ONLY reason I could find for the stuck nature was the foam spacers. I cleaned them and lubricated them with some silicone and have had no further problems