Stewart & Clark Speedo

Curti

I am certainly no expert on Stewart speedo's but I think this is a little too new for Rambler. I would expect a Rambler to use a brass cased unit, but I could be wrong.

As you probably know Stewart was widely specified for o.e.m. applications, as well as being sold as an accessory either as an upgrade or for cars not Spedo. equipted from the factory. The grade % dial is an interesting variation. I have not seen one before. No doubt it came from a higher quality car, but it was probably available as a separate item thru Stewart dealers as well. I am sure someone has a Stewart catalog from this period and can provide more info.

Greg in Canada

I tend to believe it may be an industral application, such as a haul truck. That would explain the use for the grade % and seasonal mileage functions. How high a speed can the speedometer register? If it tops out at 60 or 70 mph that would also point to a slower moving vehicle rather than an automobile.

I belive the "season" mileage is seen up to about 1916 or so on many if not all Stewart speedos. It is a hold over from the early days of motoring when Automobiles were primarily playthings of the wealthy. In about 1917 it changed to mileage to reflect the more general, everyday use of cars. 60 mph was a pretty good clip on the roads of the mid teens. Even if the car was capable of more it would be rarely achieved. Trucks were on hard rubber tires, 10 or 12 M.P.H. tops. More than a Horse and wagon but not by much. I would suspect it is an automotive unit, I have a few commercial Stewart speedos but they are not built like this one. The mounting bracket seems to have a holder for a small light unit. Few if any trucks at this time would have had electric lights.

I am sure someone out there in AACA land has a Stewart catalog and can come up with a more definite I.D.

Greg in Canada

Guest Commodore

I believe you have a Stewart and Clark model B speedometer as used on 1913 Ford Model Ts. The letter "E" stamped on the face below the Miles per Hour legion is a 1913 date code. However, Stewart and Clark sold speedometers to 134 different car makers and to the aftermarket in 1913, but Ford was far and away the most popular.

I believe Commodore missed the grade meter on the face. This head was one of the upscale offerings by Stewart for 1913 and being more expensive was not used by Ford.

Would it still be a Model B Speedometer?

If I am connecting the dots correctly here then this is definitely a 1913 model B Stewart. It may have been a O.E.M. Ford unit , may have been a O.E.M. Rambler unit {1913 is the last year for Rambler so it falls in the correct year}, or may have been aftermarket. The mounting bracket does not look Ford to me, so Rambler is a definite possibility {contrary to my previous opinion}. A rare but troublesome unit, as are all Stewarts with the die cast- pot metal body. A very nice unit none the less.

Greg in Canada

Guest Commodore

This ad from the January 11, 1913 issue of the Saturday Evening Post lists the car makers using Stewart and Clark speedometers and Ford is on the list. If you click on the blue "Next" on the top of the ad, that will take you to the next page which will show you that Curti's speedometer is indeed a Model B.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3FcwAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA66&dq=stewart++1913+speedometer&hl=en&sa=X&ei=rQW-U_f9L8LtoASp_IKABA&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=stewart%20%201913%20speedometer&f=false