Too much transmission fluid?

bhclark

The transmission fluid in my son's Reatta is hard to read, it appears to be foaming. I'm guessing that means there is too much?

Looks like there might be a pin hole in the cooler, so I'm going to swap that out on Wednesday, that should cause me to lose some fluid and verify.

He ran the power steering pump low on fluid as well. It was whining. I can't see a specific leak other than what looks like a slow seep on the pressure line. That's the one that is difficult to change, right? How much do you expect a shop to charge to replace that if I don't want to tackle it? They'll certainly have an easier time getting to it on a lift than I will on my back.

$50 for the pump at O'Reilly and they show the hoses for about $25 each. All MasterPro. Might as well do it all while it's apart for those prices. Alternator is noisy as well, but I have one of those on the shelf.

$225,000 miles on this car....ugh.

I am the third owner on my convertible, actually second as the "second" owner was just a "flipper". At any rate, this car has the factory Riv trans cooler on it complete with the factory lines. I suspect that as the original owner was a Buick Dealership owner in Janesville, Wi. that he had it installed. However a tranny cooler is not something I would think of installing on a new car, but you never know.

So the upshot of all this is that maybe someone did install a trans cooler sometime in the past, but be sure it is not the pwer steering cooler Harry is referring to.

Power steering cooler. Duh! I guess it's too small for transmission. . That must be the source of the leak then. I'll replace that and maybe the pump and hopefully that cures it!

Doesn't help that they are the same color fluid..... :)

Thanks!

Brian,

If the cooler is about 4" X about 14" with strong steel fins, its the PS cooler. I've seen tranny coolers that mirror the ones on the 7th generation Riviera's installed on Reatta's by DIY'ers. Actually, I bought a Riviera tranny cooler with lines that I plan installing on my 91 Reatta. I just feel its wise to add them whenever its a practical bolt-on.

Brian,

If the cooler is about 4" X about 14" with strong steel fins, its the PS cooler. I've seen tranny coolers that mirror the ones on the 7th generation Riviera's installed on Reatta's by DIY'ers. Actually, I bought a Riviera tranny cooler with lines that I plan installing on my 91 Reatta. I just feel its wise to add them whenever its a practical bolt-on.

Yep, that's it...I just forgot that it was for the PS. I'm swapping it out tomorrow.

Hopefully, that's where the majority of the PS leak is coming from and the pump isn't completely shot....yet.

That went smoother than I thought it would.

Swapped out the power steering cooler and sucked a few cups of transmission fluid out. Fluid is a bit dark, but still pink and no burnt smell...might have starved it a bit, but no adverse affects driving. Still, probably should take it and have it serviced soon.

Power steering pump is completely quiet again, so hopefully it will last.

Test drive went smoothly, although the engine crept just above midline on the temperature gauge. It is almost 95 today and we didn't get much above 40 mph other than once on the test drive.

He's back in business. I'm trying to instill a regular fluid checking sequence with him...every time he gets gas, but he's more of a gamer than a mechanic.....

That went smoother than I thought it would. Swapped out the power steering cooler and sucked a few cups of transmission fluid out. Fluid is a bit dark' date=' but still pink and no burnt smell...might have starved it a bit, but no adverse affects driving. Still, probably should take it and have it serviced soon. Power steering pump is completely quiet again, so hopefully it will last. Test drive went smoothly, although the engine crept just above midline on the temperature gauge. It is almost 95 today and we didn't get much above 40 mph other than once on the test drive. He's back in business. I'm trying to instill a regular fluid checking sequence with him...every time he gets gas, but he's more of a gamer than a mechanic.....[/quote']

This is why I no longer outfit my friends and family with Reattas. Nobody takes care of them and they've all ended up back here as parts cars.